Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Model Railroading > A scene not often modeled

Date: 06/02/20 10:10
A scene not often modeled
Author: 4thDistrict

Here is a scene not modeled very often. For my 1970s era ATSF layout I wanted to include a microwave repeater station that were common in the late 60s and later. These were used to replace signal lines and directed the microwave commmunication signals from key locations such as large stations and division offices. The towers were strategically placed to amplify signals and to bend the line-of-sight signals around obstacles such as mountains or large structures. SP's microwave tower sytem eventually became Sprint as the railroad began transitioning to the newer fibre optic technology. On my layout this tower is placed between the ATSF (back) and SP (front) mainlines on the layout area representing the upper central valley of California.

The tower and dishes were 3D printed. The chain line fence is an Alloy Forms (now Scale Structures Limited) kit painted Model Masters Aluminum Plate and DullCoat to give it a weathered galvanized metal appearance. The truck is a Classic Model Works MINI METALS 1954 Ford F350 service truck. The figure is a Preiser repainted to look like an American railroad worker. The signal poles are Rix products. The trees are JTT Professional Series Live Oaks. The real dirt is from the area being modeled. The grass is a blend of 5 parts SILFLOR 6mm Golden Grass, 1 part SILFLOR 6mm Autumn, and 1 part Woodland Scenics 4mm Straw.  And t
he fence in the background was made of sections of 2.5mm diameter skewers and brown thread.

Date: 06/02/20 10:23
Re: A scene not often modeled
Author: ntharalson

Nice work here, thanks for posting.  

However, I don't think you;d find a satillite receiver idsh on a microwave relay tower.  More likely you would find a circular antenna with a circular or conical shroud over it.  I'll have to try and get a shot of a similar Santa Fe tower in N.E. Missouri for you.  Just a suggesstion here as I do think this is really nice work, much better than I could do.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 06/02/20 10:29
Author: atsf121

Sure looks good! I wonder if you could wrap the dish to create the shroud that Nick mentioned. Cheesecloth might work.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/02/20 12:10
Author: SP1984

That looks fantastic! I really like the road too, especially the newer "patched" areas!

Jim

Date: 06/02/20 12:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

I don't recall such scenes and if I hadn't seen those period photo's, I'd think it looks a bit too modern.  But there they are!

Date: 06/02/20 12:48
Author: ChrisCampi

That's pretty cool! By the way, I followed your instructions on building the fence and applying static grass and both came out really well. Thanks again.

Chris

Date: 06/02/20 14:37
Author: PHall

Need a cage on that ladder. But they are available.

Date: 06/02/20 17:22
Author: mrsaxtonsr

Very nice work !

Date: 06/02/20 20:32
Author: winstonhill

Regarding the safety cages, I understand that the very first action the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OHSA) took as a new federal agency was to remove the roofwalks off boxcars. It didn't become OSHA until a couple of years later.

Winston Hill

Date: 06/03/20 05:09
Author: Bob3985

Very nice. And in real life we are seeing more towers popping along the rail routes.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds