Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Model Railroading > Sprung trucks, or not?

Date: 06/04/20 14:36
Sprung trucks, or not?
Author: Jeff_Johnston

This is one of those subjects that I'm sure will have as many answers as there are modelers.

First of all, some qualifiers to help avoid the "Is the monitor plugged into the computer?" comments. I've been a modeler for many years, and decades. I have a good handle on assembling, tuning and operating HO scale models. I understand the theoretical value of having sprung sideframe trucks as far as flexibility for uneven track work and so on is concerned. Now the question:

Does anyone have any information about the real-world value of using sprung trucks on your average HO scale freight cars? So far, our layout has very few cars with sprung trucks and we don't have any problems with the solid-sideframe truck cars negotiating any of our track work.

Has anyone replaced non-spring trucks with sprung trucks and noticed any bump up in reliability, tracking ability and so on?

I posted some vintage Lindberg trucks with sprung side frames on Ebay and that got me to wondering about the value, real or imagined, of the springing in a real-world model railroad environment.

Thank you for any thoughts anyone can pass along.

Jeff Johnston
trainvideosandparts.com

Date: 06/04/20 14:50
Re: Sprung trucks, or not?
Author: tomstp

If your no spring trucks are fairly flexible and are not screwed tight to the bolster it basically serves the same purpose as sprung trucks.  I have both on my cars and have not  noticed any difference.

Date: 06/04/20 16:14
Author: sixaxlecentury

Sprung trucks were just a hokey gimmick.  They look like crap, and usually operate like crap also, especially when they start to fall apart.  

Date: 06/04/20 16:48
Author: SantaFeRuss

For me, I prefer non sprung trucks for the same reason Tomstp has stated. The ridged trucks are more reliable so long as you don't screw them in too tight.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/04/20 16:56
Author: rnb3

I believe this is one of those things that I call "physics doesn't scale".  In O scale, sprung trucks are a big deal to a lot of people, but I'm not buying it (or them). The mass isn't there to make them function correctly. I also believe they look bad. The only time I've seen sprung trucks actually working is on some O scale locomotives that weight several pounds. 

Your mileage may (will) vary!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 06/04/20 17:21
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Sprung trucks do indeed work in HO scale. I use them on our log flats out of necessity, typically Kadee trucks with replacement all-metal wheelsets, because I need the extra weight on the cars. We don't need them on enclosed cars with lots of places to hide weight. If I put the tip of an X-Acto blade or a small flat-blade screwdriver under one wheel on a log flat and twist, that wheel alone lifts off the rail while the others stay in place. That's the articulation which is supposed to help the trucks manage track work defects, so yes, sprung trucks work in HO scale. I just don't use them very often unless needed, as described earlier.

As for those trucks providing a smoother ride for the cargo or something ... the physics scaling down, etc ... that's not a concern, is it?

As for them not looking good, well, that's purely subjective.

Jeff

Date: 06/04/20 18:19
Author: railstiesballast

I put sprung trucks on a heavy car that I use for a camera platform, in an effort to give the camera (Sony) a smooth ride.
I don't know whether to credit the Sony software designers for good image stabilization or the sprung trucks, the it appears to be a smooth video.

Date: 06/04/20 20:26
Author: Westbound

Some of my freight cars date back to 1962 when I started in HO. Some have sprung trucks and others (all metal) are rigid. On a few of both types I have replaced a few wheel sets because the old flanges were just too great. All remain in active service and all track well on my code 83 track with #6 turnouts and 22 inch minimum radius curves. I like the sprung trucks better. The only thing with roller bearings trucks are on a couple of locomotive tenders, which are not sprung. Are modern trucks even available sprung?

Date: 06/05/20 04:02
Author: SPDRGWfan

My Walthers white box kit 2-bay Airslide hoppers came with spring trucks.  I did run them and they ran ok but I didn't like the way the trucks seemed to flex at odd angles easily.

Also they looked unrealistic.  Why?  Because the springs were thin and airey but real truck springs are thick.  I find quality plastic one piece trucks work very well.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 06/05/20 07:39
Author: BAB

Well its not just HO and O but those in larger scale, 1.5" have the same trouble with sprung trucks which we almost have to use. Many think that bolster clearance is needed to make them work and still have trouble on uneven track. What they dont think about is the need for truck bolster to work as in depress the spring while empty and then when loaded not bottom out. Its possilbe to do but takes a little time to figure out. One item is the weight empty should allow the bolster to not sit tight against the side frame that requires a car to weight aound 150lb empty so the truck will work properly. Too much car to truck clearance allows the car to rock quite bad and if its a riding car hold on tight as it feels like its going to tip over. After being in the large scale hobby for over 20yrs I still watch people blame bad track that I can run cars over day in and day out without derailing. Boyd at Train Mountain.

Date: 06/08/20 07:51
Author: Arved

Do the springs on sprung trucks look like the springs on real trucks? Certainly not! That's enough reason for me to avoid them.. I've never had a situation where I thought a sprung truck would solve a problem I was having, and I've been modeling for over 50 years.

Depending on your outlook, it's either a gimick, or a solution looking for a non-existant problem.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds