Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Model Trains that have been made

Date: 07/01/20 12:54
Model Trains that have been made
Author: Wasatch-RR-Cont

Hello all, 

Wesley here (not John) I borrowed the account again as a fairly good question came up the other day while running some N scale trains and talking about some up coming releases with John about the new Arrowhead Models release which is apparently a car that has never been done in HO, which sounds impossible as it seems that everything has been done in HO in brass or plastic. This is probably a really easy or a really complex question to answer and hopefully we can find some sort of answer. 

Is there some sort of data base or list of what cars have been made in HO or N scale or a list of what has NOT been made in HO or N. 

We know some manufacturers sometimes don't make 100% accurate cars that follow a specific prototype but it would be interesting to see what has not been made. We also know there are plenty of really unique cars that were built by a railroad for a very specific use and really has no need to be produced as there was only one or 2 ever made (Nevada Northern Scale car is a good example). We are mostly looking into cars that were made in quantities over 10 maybe or 2 different road names??? (don't know really where to draw the line on what qualifies as unique, input would be nice on where to draw the line, maybe anything that was owned by at least 3 roads in a quantity of 20+. Seems reasonable???) There are probably a lot of other "rules" that would have to be considered but this seems like a good start. 

I know this a long shot, but it is a question worth asking as someone may have a list or a good start to a list. If no one has this list or ever considered it maybe its time to start on such a project, but it'll be a quite large project but would be very helpful especially to everyone. Now some eras cant probably be covered by this list like the pre 1900 era as there probably isn't enough knowledge or need to know of such cars and not many manufacturers have made them (that I can find). I would imagine some manufacturers have some sort of a list probably but I really don't know. 

I am open to anything, just looking for some sort of answer... Maybe its time to start a list! 

Thanks,

Wesley Rimmasch 

Date: 07/01/20 14:33
Re: Model Trains that have been made
Author: SPDRGWfan

There have been a lot of freight cars that haven't been done; remember the ExactRail long list?

Here is a partial I had bookmarked:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2773140

According to Blaines announcment that he will announce what model it will be on July 10: it will be "practically essential from the 1980's to the present and it's not what you think." He also said it would be of interest for east and west coast modelers.

My interest is late 1970's bleeding over to about 1983 so I'm waiting to see what it is.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/20 14:40 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 07/01/20 15:53
Author: wabash2800

We still need more HO 40 ft. steam era/transition era gons. Please, no more 50-60 ft. mill gons.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/20 16:56 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/01/20 16:46
Author: BrianK

For N Scale, this is one of the most accurate databases I've ever seen.  Covers everything made and gives a review.

http://www.spookshow.net/trainstuff.html

Cheers,
Brian

Date: 07/02/20 05:01
Author: Arved

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We still need more HO 40 ft. steam era/transition
> era gons. Please, no more 50-60 ft. mill gons.

Add transition era tank cars to the list. We're having to "make do" with a lot of poor models among a handful of accurate models. The 6-8,000 gallon capacity cars are especially under represented.

Please, no more 1937 AAR box cars. :D

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 07/02/20 06:20
Author: SPDRGWfan

>Add transition era tank cars to the list. We're having to "make do" with> a lot of poor models among a handful of accurate models. The 6-8,000> gallon capacity cars are especially under represented.
>
>
>Arved Grass
>Fleming Island, FL
>Arved Grass 

Are you not aware of what Tangent Scale Models offer?  Seems Tangent is representing 6-8,000 gallon capacity tank car pretty well.  Just sayin ... 

https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/view-buy-models/ 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/20 06:20 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 07/02/20 09:36
Author: Arved

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Are you not aware of what Tangent Scale Models
> offer?  Seems Tangent is representing 6-8,000
> gallon capacity tank car pretty well.  Just sayin

Yes. If you want a General American tank car. And if you want an ACF Type 27 8K tank car, there's IM.

One of the most common tank cars of the era is the Union Tank Car X-3. There were four major sizes of UTLX-design uninsulated tank cars. The 37'5" frame X-3s carried an 8'7" diameter 10,000 gallon or a 6'4" diameter 8,000 gallon ("skinny 8") tank. The 32'2" frame X-3 carried and 8,000 gallon tank ("squat 8") with 8'7" diameter or a 6'4" 6,500 gallon tank. The squat or short 8,000 gallon tank was a shortened large diameter 10,000 gallon tank. The 6,500 gallon tank was a shortened small diameter 8,000 gallon tank.  Essentially, two thirds (12,924 out of the 19,425 X-3s built) were of the 10,000 gallon capacity. The 10K X-3s were built between 1917 and 1930.

AFAIK, Sunshine (reworked and reissued by Resin Car Works) is the only one to offer a model of these tank cars, and only of that most common 10K size. Not everyone wants to build craftsman resin kits, and I don't believe the model is currently available.
  •  

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 07/02/20 18:56
Author: atsf121

I remember Model Railroader had an article years ago with the different locomotive models that had been made, might have covered both HO & N. A database would be awesome for both locos and cars.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0746 seconds