Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > The "perfect" layout lighting LED strip; perfect for us, anyway

Date: 07/02/20 20:55
The "perfect" layout lighting LED strip; perfect for us, anyway
Author: Jeff_Johnston

I started my quest to find some suitable LED strip lights for our layout's lower deck. I had specific wants: 5000K (our layout standard for photo lighting and so on), 120- volt AC power, no extra unneeded BS like remote control, wifi, bluetooth, dancing disco lights option, and so on. Just good quality lights. After scouring the local in-person hardware sources and professional lighting shops, I resorted to online, saw a lot of cheap never-worth-it junk, and finally found such a perfect light option it was hard to believe.

These SMD LED strip lights, available in a variety of lengths and color temperatures, are absolutely wonderful. Powerful, accurate color temperature, solidly built, have a plastic housing around the lights so they don't glare in your eyes unless you hunker down to look. I installed my 18-foot piece and damn it looks nice, does exactly what I wanted as far as lighting up the lower deck is concerned. They also offer end joiners for continuing a run, and 90-degree corner joiners.

These are not the cheapest LED string available but they're also far from the most expensive. You pay for quality and this is it.

I was so pleased to find these! Now I'm measuring the rest of the layout lower deck and am set to order more.

Onward!

Jeff Johnston

trainvideosandparts.com

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-str…/ac-power-5050-led-strips…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/20 23:37 by Jeff_Johnston.

Date: 07/02/20 21:19
Re: The "perfect" layout lighting LED strip ... perfect for us, a
Author: SandPatch1

Sadly, the link says, PAGE REMOVED,  
they look great.. perfect in fact. 
will try to find them another way. 
thanks
dave j

Date: 07/02/20 23:36

Dave - Try searching

AC 5050 SMD LED Strip Lights

Jeff

Date: 07/03/20 00:01
Author: MrMRL

Really cool stuff you've got there Jeff! I'll be sure to bookmark (or at least try to remember this thread) for possible future (way future) upgrade options at my own model railroad club in So Cal, the California Southern MRC. At the moment, my club's lower level (of a 20'+ x 70'+ double deck HO layout) uses long strings of 24-48" fluorescent light tubes for illumination, in the 4100K color range. Our upper level uses 4 and 8 ft. (12' high) ceiling mounted lighting fixtures with 48" LED tubes installed at 4000K temperature. Depending on how much monthly power consumption we could feasibly save, these could be a viable option down the road if we ever wish to replace the lower level fluorescent design.

Best of luck with your install and long term outcomes.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 07/03/20 06:18
Author: miniempire

Date: 07/03/20 07:20
Author: VintageMac

A 48" flourescent tube puts out 1600 Lumens and radiates 360 degrees.  This strip puts out 720 Lumens (per 48") and radiates 120 degrees.

In order to match the light output of the flourescent tubes, do you have to use two LED strips?

Larry

Date: 07/03/20 10:21

Larry:

I'm not sure to whom your question about replacing fluorescent tubes was directed, but in our case, these LED strips are just for the lower level (photo1). This is a photo straight from the phone, no photoshopping for brightness or anything. The LED strips do a fantastic job for this purpose. The reddish upper level is lit with 3200K incandescent lights at ceiling level, soon to be replaced with 5K LED globes, and the lower deck is 5K LED strips.

I ran out of the supplied plastic clips that hang the light strips (photo 2, not the company's fault, I installed them at closer intervals than they recommended to avoid light strip drooping). I had to fall back on round plastic cable clamps (photo 3) which have the side benefit of allowing me to twist the LED strip and aim it back more into the layout as needed. Kind of handy!

Jeff Johnston
trainvideosandparts.com

Date: 07/03/20 11:12
Author: ChrisCampi

Jeff, the LED's look great. Do you know what the distance is between track level and your mounted LED strips?

Date: 07/03/20 11:20
Author: Railbaron

I also see the lights are "dimmable" so they can be fine tuned for personal taste / lighting conditions. 

Date: 07/03/20 11:50

Chris - Per photo #1, it's about 16 inches.

Jeff

Date: 07/03/20 14:49
Re: The "perfect" layout lighting LED strip; perfect for us, anyw
Author: SP1984

Jeff,

I think you picked well! Those look really nice. A while back I looked for LED lighting and was overwhelmed by the shear number of products, so I thank you for sharing this.

Jim

Date: 07/04/20 13:20
Re: The "perfect" layout lighting LED strip; perfect for us, anyw
Author: binder001

Jeff, those look nice.  Thanks for sharing.  I will look into these for the next phase of my layout construction.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.076 seconds