Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Model Railroading > HO Scale KCS SD45 (SD40-3 Rebuild)

Date: 07/06/20 17:33
HO Scale KCS SD45 (SD40-3 Rebuild)
Author: tuxedorailfan

I don't see very many KCS modellers in the group, so I figured I would break the ice a bit... Here's my most recent model I've been building. KCS #631, what they classified as an SD40-3. It was essentially a rebuilt SD45 that had SD40-2 upgrades. KCS had a fleet of 24 of these SD45 Car-bodied units, and I have intentions of building at least 4 for my roster. I model 1995-1998 KCS...aka Before the Gyralite's went away and MidSouth Paducah Geep's were still predominant here in the southeast.

The model started out as a Rio Grande SD45. Stripped the paint, added some KCS appliances, threw on some True Color KCS grey paint, and applied the Micro Scale decals. The 3rd image shows the unit in it's current state. I'd say it's about 90% complete. All that's left now is to paint the yellow sill stripe, add the tiny yellow stripped hand rails, number boards, and the exterior detailing of the model will be done. Lastly it'll get LED's and ESU LokSound. The real 631 was equipped with a Nathan P3, so the sound file will get those specific sounds too.

Stay tuned for more. I believe the next unit will be a 4700 series GP40-3, but that has yet to be determined. May knock out the other 3 of these I have planned!

Date: 07/06/20 18:57
Re: HO Scale KCS SD45 (SD40-3 Rebuild)
Author: icancmp193

Those KCS followers are out there! I build models of railroad maintenance vehicles and the KCS ones always sell!

TJY

Date: 07/06/20 21:35
Author: SantaFeRuss

Very nice! Any in the "Southern Belle" scheme?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 07/07/20 03:21
Author: BNModeler

Give us more KCS!!!

Date: 07/07/20 05:17

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice! Any in the "Southern Belle" scheme?
>
> SantaFeRuss

I’ve thought about doing a Southern Belle version, but for the era that I model, it wouldn’t fit in. I may do one to resale, but that has yet to be determined.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/07/20 05:17

BNModeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give us more KCS!!!

Ask and you shall receive!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds