Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > Kathy Millatt

Date: 07/22/20 07:20
Kathy Millatt
Author: aehouse

I enjoy Kathy Millatt's scenery clinics, available on YouTube and (occasionally) on Model Railroader Video Plus.  She's an engaging presenter and shows every step in each process, with candid explanations of why she's doing what, and why she is using the products she chooses. My sole complaint is that she uses about 100 expensive products to detail even a small diorama.  But I highly recommend her for scenery ideas.

Art House

Date: 07/22/20 11:22
Re: Kathy Millatt
Author: MojaveBill

Sounds like a lot of TV and media chefs! She is informative, though.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/22/20 13:32
Author: grahamline

She wouldn't be the only video mentor discovering "radical new ways" to do the same old same old with "radical new products." No coincidence here.

Date: 07/22/20 20:05
Author: santafe3751

No offense to those that put in the time, but the tutorials of Millatt and Luke Towan are not realistic at all.  They look great but who is going to spend 100 hours on an area the diorama entails.  The attention they get is people who are in awe of the work and rightfully so but it is not feasible for most of us to ever use the techniques on your layouts.

Date: 07/23/20 04:52
Author: Lighter

> who is
> going to spend 100 hours on an area the diorama
> entails.

Raises hand - 

>  it is
> not feasible for most of us to ever use the
> techniques on your layouts.

Huh? She demonstrates techniques that have been in the arsenal of model builders since the stone age.

Just as I speak for myself, I think you are speaking for yourself.
As well as those like me and as those like you. 

It's a really big hobby, don't you know? Seems a shame to close out anyone.

Date: 07/23/20 05:40
Author: santafedan

You alone decide when "good enough is good enough."  100 hours goes along way on a basement sized layout.

Date: 07/29/20 19:24
Author: rapidotrains

Kathy is a good friend of mine, and she is the real deal. She is an enthusiastic modeller and a huge New Haven fan. 

She has a day job. She does those videos just for fun.

But it got her noticed - now she's a British celebrity as she's one of the judges in a model railroad TV program. Each year at the Warley Show we nip out to buy Doctor Who stuff at the Comicon in the next building. Last year she kept getting stopped by people asking for her autograph! 

-Jason

Date: 07/30/20 04:24
Author: SPDRGWfan

rapidotrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kathy is a good friend of mine, and she is the
> real deal. She is an enthusiastic modeller and a
> huge New Haven fan. 
>
> She has a day job. She does those videos just for
> fun.
>
> But it got her noticed - now she's a British
> celebrity as she's one of the judges in a model
> railroad TV program. Each year at the Warley Show
> we nip out to buy Doctor Who stuff at the Comicon
> in the next building. Last year she kept getting
> stopped by people asking for her autograph! 
>
> -Jason

Kathy is definitely type-A and a does all kinds of hobby/craft stuff and a rare bird as a lady who is passionate about the hobby, not seen very often.  I've noticed it's much more socially "the norm" in England to be a railfan, which is a breath of fresh air after how media and Hollywood have characterized rail fans in the US as unhinged or weird hermits.  *sigh*  I've caught a few of those British model RR contests where they get groups to compete and build a creative layout in a short time.  Pretty wild.

My older sister was a Doctor Who fan since the early 1980's when Tom Baker was the Doctor.  I''m married to a Brit and I don't think there are many who aren't Dr. Who fans.  It seemed like a big deal when the show was revived in 2005 after a 16 year hiatus.  I imagine I'll have to have an HO scale Tardis land in Grande Junction on my (under contruction) layout.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/31/20 17:56
Author: fire5506

I met Kathy Millatt at the 2017 NMRA convention in Orlando, Florida. She is a real nice down to earh person that is intersted in learning new ways to do things, new to her at least.
She also had a clinic ro two that she did for the convention.
 Don't forget where she is from they generally don't have layouts as large as we do here in the USA due to a lack of space, so they spend a lot more time detailing them. I found that out 
when attending a clinic she did.
 I had watched a lot of her videos prior to meeting her, so for me it was a treat.

Richard Webster

Richard Webster
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Date: 09/01/20 01:56
Author: SPDRGWfan

Bloody southerner!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0772 seconds