Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn 'armchair' quarterbacking

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 07/28/20 16:38
Athearn 'armchair' quarterbacking
Author: mcdeo

Might as well start the thread about guessing, or 'armchair quarterbacking' what Athearn is going to announce this coming Friday. Here is what they have said publicly:
- Genesis 2.0
- LED lighting
- dual cube speakers
- will make West, mid-West, East, Mexico, and Canadian modelers happy
- got the green light 3 years ago for this brand new project

The other hint that might apply is, 'lots of GE being released this year'. My official guess is the 6 axle U boat family (which would include the C30-7 from what I can tell). That would provide tons of RR's and lots of variations. Although, I'm not 100% sure they ran in Canada. I know Mexico RR's had variations and from coast to coast. 

Other random thoughts:
- With dual cube speakers, most likely a narrow hood engine, as the SDP40F's and P40/42's have the full width speakers, so not a PA (and yes, I know Rapido has annouced those)
- Dash 9's (I heard this from another source) which could mean AC4400's, which would cover all North American regions (but this seems odd if ST is already in that space and IM said they wanted to do dash-9's)
- SD70ACe Tier 4 (doubtful, but you never know, plus doesn't fit the all region requirement)
- Genesis SD40-2

Let the random guessing begin...

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 07/28/20 17:01
Re: Athearn 'armchair' quarterbacking
Author: WAF

F units

Date: 07/28/20 17:01
Author: fbe

Genesis SD40-2 to compete with the Scale Train SD40-2.

Many GEs. There is an excellent U25C so we need the later U28C, various U30C, U33C and both versions of the U36C models. Then bring out the B Boat versions of the same.

Think $350-$450 per model.

Date: 07/28/20 17:08
Author: gandydancer4

When guessing, one must remember that the producer needs to get as much mileage out of the frame and body shell as possible. I would love to see a C30-7 but I don't think Canada had any. In conclusion, I have no idea. We will see on 7/31

Date: 07/28/20 17:19

Canada didn't own any U Boats, they stayed with MLW until the end.

Date: 07/28/20 17:41
Author: Mojacket

' - will make West, mid-West, East, Mexico, and Canadian modelers happy' 

What locomotive can make that claim and there isn't a highly detailed version on the market at the moment? 
The Tier 3 ES44AC/C4

Who has them? BNSF, UP, KCS, IAIS, NS, CSX, FEC, KCSdM, Ferromex, CP, and CN. They could have more than a few runs from that. Along with Citirail lease units. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/20 18:21 by Mojacket.

Date: 07/28/20 18:06
Author: 37176

Mojacket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ' - will make West, mid-West, East, Mexico, and
> Canadian modelers happy' 
>
> What locomotive can make that claim and there
> isn't a highly detailed version on the market at
> the moment? 
> The Tier 3 ES44AC/C4
>
> Who has them? BNSF, UP, KCS, IAIS, NS, CSX, FEC,
> KCSdM, Ferromex, CP, and CN. They could have more
> than a few runs from that. 
>  

I directly asked the Athearn guys on the last live stream if the "More GE" they previously mentioned last month an ES44C4 and the response was 'Chances are good" That's a pretty good clue.

Date: 07/28/20 18:43

In my case C truck U Boats will sell at least 10-0 over any ES44 units.

If Athearn does an ES44 there will be 1-2 competing models from other model builders. If they do a state of the art U30C Athearn will have the only model in the market.

The same chassis can be used for U23C, U28C, U30C, U33C, U36C and a couple of passenger units including one cowl unit.

The front 1/3 of the cab and carbody is the same across the freight models.

Date: 07/28/20 19:01
Author: harvick29trains

I think it might be the SD70ACU, PWRS in Canada says wait for the big Athearn announcement for Canadian modelers. Which might be nice with all the Canadian Paciific Heritage/military units around. Who knows. I would love to see a tier 4 SD70ACe.

Date: 07/28/20 20:07
Author: ChrisCampi

I've no idea what they have planned but I'd sure like to see an updated version of their SW1500.

Date: 07/28/20 21:21
Author: needles_sub

Alco PA's

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/20 21:23
Author: ChrisCampi

needles_sub Wrote:
> Alco PA's
>
> Posted from Android

Rapido is doing them.

Date: 07/28/20 22:35
Author: PHall

Saw something about a new Amtrak P40/42 in the Genesis line in the RMC that arrived today.

Date: 07/28/20 22:41
Author: mcdeo

The P42/40's were announced a few months ago: http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/052920/02_GEN_AMD103_052920.pdf 

And yes, they are going to do all heritage units and more P40's eventually. Just needed to spread out the runs and allow wallets to purchase more, plus create anticipation. 

The ES44 is an intersting thought, hadn't crossed my mind. But with 4 other manufactures already in the market (IM, MTH, Walthers, Broadway-Limited (HO scale)), does it make sense? I guess at some level. If money can be made. The ES44 (tier 3) do look like they'll be around for at least another 30ish years in service, so could be a good investment. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 07/29/20 02:53
Author: MarkG

Since we're in the wild guess mode how about a Genesis quality SD7/9? Yes, Walthers Proto2000 line has been out a while, but I kept hearing an SD7/9 of Genesis Quality requests at the both Athearn and I attended.

best regards,
Mark G.

Date: 07/29/20 02:59
Author: MitchGDRMCo

AC4400CW easy.

Date: 07/29/20 03:15
Author: needles_sub

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> needles_sub Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Alco PA's
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Rapido is doing them.

How many companies have duplicated what another company is/has done? Many!

Date: 07/29/20 05:25
Author: DLM

Another announment and no Tom Thumb.  What's a person who models the 1830's to do?????

Date: 07/29/20 06:17
Author: stevenlsilva

How about a SDL39 Milwaukee Road, Wisconson Central, Soo

Date: 07/29/20 06:27
Author: MrMRL

Genesis 2.0 Hustler

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0668 seconds