Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Model Railroading > Testing out some new ScaleTrains Gunderson Multi-Max Autoracks

Date: 08/20/20 07:35
Testing out some new ScaleTrains Gunderson Multi-Max Autoracks
Author: MrMRL

Cracked open my shipping box of 9 fresh ScaleTrains HO scale autoracks yesterday at the local train club. I then tossed them immediately into a big ol' vehicle train with my existing Walthers Bi and Tri levels, Atlas articulated, and Athearn Auto-Max models for a break in run. These models are a must have for contemporary modelers out there. They'll really add a visible bit of variety to your rack trains. For my operations I picked up three BNSF orange, three BNSF white, two KCS (1 white, 1 yellow) and a CN model.

Date: 08/20/20 07:36
Re: Testing out some new ScaleTrains Gunderson Multi-Max Autorack

On the yellow models, there is a slightly noticeable difference in color between the injection moulded plastic details and the painted car sides, but I feel it is improved from early deco samples.

Keep an eye on your Retaining Valves, they hang very low under the center of the models. On tighter curves they can swing outside the rail pretty far possibly hitting low objects close to the track. Though the cars tracked around the club's layout with out any noticeable impacts.

Date: 08/20/20 07:37

Paint is SUPER CRISP, and the etched panels are dead flat against the model. ScaleTrains was able to add a dark patch of paint behind the screens greatly adding to the apparent depth of those tiny holes.

Date: 08/20/20 07:39

I weighed three different cars on a digital scale, 7.8 oz for the models 13.125" long over the long coupler faces, an NMRA standards match. They are a little sticky on the rail (roll-ability wise), maybe a few more laps around the layout will loosen up those rotating bearing equipped trucks, we'll see.

All in all, I love 'em. Thanks ScaleTrains, keep on defying those 'sky is falling' premonitions that this hobby is dead!

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 08/20/20 07:56
Author: tomstp

That is quite a train.

Date: 08/20/20 09:26
Author: SPDRGWfan

There is some serious money in that train!

Date: 08/20/20 10:18
Author: TCnR

Agree, serious collection. Nice looking investment though.

Roughly what kind of curves are we looking at?
t4p.

Date: 08/20/20 10:28
Author: BigDave

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roughly what kind of curves are we looking at?
> t4p.

Based on the direction the train is travelling, I'd say one big left turn, with various small left and rights. (hee-hee).

Date: 08/20/20 11:46
Author: Hookdragkick

Remember, B1, gently bunch the slack then increase braking. Lol. Great looking train, my Orange rack is coming in the mail. I had a V train last night and the leader was 5441. I didn't realize it was a "Frankenloco" until I hopped off, but it made me think of your work. 👍

Posted from Android

Date: 08/20/20 11:48

I'd guess the sharper curves are in the 48 to 50 somthing range.

I went to a train show a long time ago in St Louis MO and watched a long string of Walthers Autoracks looking very nice on a modular layout corner and asked one of the layout guys what the curves were.  I think he said something around 54 inches IIRC.

It takes some pretty broad curves for 89' freight cars to look good on, even if they will operate well enough on 30 inches or larger.  I had a 36" curve on a garage layout back in the early 90's when I first got my Walthers autoracks and was suprised how sharp that curve looked under those long cars.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/20/20 12:11

TCnR Wrote:
> Agree, serious collection. Nice looking investment
> though.
>
> Roughly what kind of curves are we looking at?
> t4p.

Thanks, been assembling this train piece-by-piece for 17 years now, ever since Athearn first released their Auto-Max models in the Genesis line back in April 2003, remember that?

That big 180 curve at the end of the aisle is in the 44-48" radius range. I think the tightest curves on the mainline of the club's layout are in the mid to high 30s.

As with most of my layout photos, this is the HO scale California Southern Model Railroad Club in Norwalk, CA. www.CaliforniaSouthern.org

~ Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/20 12:27 by MrMRL.

Date: 08/20/20 13:10
Author: atsf121

That’s a great looking vehicle train Robby!

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/20/20 13:37

Date: 08/20/20 15:08

According to the info in the link, the minimum visible radius is 40".

The layout plan shows and upper and lower level. Which is in your photos? Are they connected by a helix?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/20/20 16:53

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> According to the info in the link, the minimum
> visible radius is 40".
>
> The layout plan shows and upper and lower level.
> Which is in your photos? Are they connected by a
> helix?

The layout views in this specific thread are of locations along the upper level. The views from the earlier 2013 thread linked by member TCnR highlight points along the layout's lower level, there was very little upper level even constructed at that point. The club's HO scale double deck (mushroom style) layout is about 20' by 70', in a room roughly 25' by 75'. The size of the space along with 12' high ceilings allow ample "scale mileage" for an average 1-2° ruling grade between the two main levels without the need/use of any mainline helix structures. This is not a "Spaghetti Central" type layout. Long sweeping scenes, with broad 40-50" radius turns were key design points. The layout boasts just over 543 feet of Code 83 mainline rail or 8.95 HO scale miles between the two levels. The scale miles are then selectively compressed into 1/4 mile segments artificially extending the perceived distances being traveled between the various stations.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 08/20/20 17:03
Author: DKay

Very nice cars Robbie.How about some pics of your potash train stretched out around there.
Regards,DK

Date: 08/20/20 17:06

That link is from a 2013 post, I somehow made the leap that the Board has been following with the upper level build that has been posted a few times.

Date: 08/21/20 06:40
Author: BAB

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> There is some serious money in that train!

If a person can afford it enjoy it like that person does and dont worry about how much someone spends.

Date: 08/21/20 07:14
Author: 55002

Impressive, but there's a lifes worth of weathering to do!!

Date: 08/21/20 07:32

BAB Wrote:
> SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is some serious money in that train!
>
> If a person can afford it enjoy it like that
> person does and dont worry about how much someone
> spends.

An observation, not a worry.  Having spent some serious money on some trains as well; it's something one is aware of and like MrMRL, it was spent over a period of time.  I've been working on populating some open auto racks with 70's vehicles since my period of interest is 77-83 and that is challenging, both in terms of finding appropriate vehicles and financing them.  It's part of the hobby.

MrMRL, do you have photo's of that train on the other part of the layout?  Are they connected with a helix (upper and lower).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/20 07:39 by SPDRGWfan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1132 seconds