Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > C&NW RSD5 “Hammerhead” project

Date: 09/08/20 16:28
C&NW RSD5 “Hammerhead” project
Author: CNW

Here is one more project off my bucket list.  I started this several months ago, and finally have it ready to paint.  The C&NW had three of these RSD5s that were equipped with dynamic brakes and steam generators which forced the short hood to be taller.  They were known as Hammerheads to the railfan community.  There were two of them left in my 1976 modeling era but with most of the short hood inlet and outlet vents plated over.  This is my ready to paint Hammerhead built from a Stewart shell and an Atlas/Kato RSD4.  Here is a list of the materials:

Smokey Valley #108 Handrail Stanchions 
Detail Associates GR2703 Cooling Fan Grill
Details West AH-186 Nathan M-3 Air Horn
Details West RB-126 Western Cullen D-312 Rotary Beacon
Cal-Scale #190-280 Marker Lights
Hi-Tech Details #6034 Diesel MU Signal & Air Hoses
Scratch built:  short hood, fuel tank, air reservoirs, winterization duct, front pilot plow and standby heater cabinet

Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/20 17:20 by CNW.

Date: 09/08/20 16:46
Re: C&NW RSD5 “Hammerhead” project
Author: BNModeler

Beautiful    Keep the pictures coming!

Date: 09/08/20 18:48
Author: DKay

Amazing work again Dennis.You and Betsy have this loco building down to a fine art.
Regards,DK

Date: 09/08/20 19:14
Author: atsf121

Wow! That is amazing work. Seeing it in this state makes it all the more impressive (and visible) how much work you have put into this beast. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/20 19:50
Author: KM-ML4000

I want one!

Date: 09/08/20 20:16
Author: Betsy

I love these posts.  It's such excellent work, and the photography conveys a sense of serenity.  A much needed commodity these days.

Out of curiosity, did you use quarter-round for the radii on the short hood, or just eyeball the radius?  I've done both, hence the question...

Elizabeth

Date: 09/08/20 21:01
Author: fs321a

Looks great! May I ask, what type of glue are you using for the project? Thanks in advance

Jon in AZ

Posted from Android

Date: 09/09/20 07:04

Betsy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of curiosity, did you use quarter-round for
> the radii on the short hood, or just eyeball the
> radius?  I've done both, hence the question...
>
> Elizabeth

Before laminating the .020" styrene, I built up the radius using pieces of styrene tube as shown in the photos.  Using a sanding block, the tube pieces were sanded flat to match the sides and end with sharp square corners.  The .020" styrene was then laminated, and the corners were sanded using the eyeball method.  The top of the short hood was built up with several layers of styrene and then sanded by eye.  My sanding block is a 4" x 4" piece of 1/4" thick Plexiglass with adhesive backed sandpaper.

Dennis

Date: 09/09/20 07:11

fs321a Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks great! May I ask, what type of glue are you
> using for the project? Thanks in advance
>
> Jon in AZ

I've been using MEK for most of the work but prefer Testors liquid plastic cement when I need longer work time (the clear liquid in the glass bottles).  I'm learning the hard way the plastic the Stewart shells are cast in is not 100% compatible with styrene.   The joints seem to bond together but when the large shell pices are twisted the joints tend to break.  I've fixed those using CA adhesive.  Are the Stewart shell kits cast in ABS plastic?  Maybe someone knows more.

Dennis

Date: 09/09/20 21:10
Author: wabash2800

Date: 09/10/20 20:42
Author: bnsfsd70

Fantastic stuff here!

- Jeff Carlson 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.073 seconds