Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Model Railroading > HO TOFC and COFC transport?

Date: 09/20/20 06:01
HO TOFC and COFC transport?
Author: coaltrain45

For those of us that have to transport our HO model trains from our homes to where we run them, what type of storage/transport systems are being used for TOFC and or COFC equipment? Mainly the trailers and containers.

Date: 09/20/20 08:35
Re: HO TOFC and COFC transport?
Author: JayK

I found these cardboard boxes at a recent train show. Foam padding on top and bottom, foam strips to place between models, and plastic sheeting so foam doesn't stick to the models. Sold by Spring Mill Models, but I don't know who manufactured them.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/20 13:36 by JayK.

Date: 09/20/20 10:26

Thanks Jim, I'm using these boxes for many things, however I have found that when the trailers are on the flat cars, the trailer hitch on the car can some time get damaged. These work great for well cars and or other flats ie flats with loads other than trailers. I'm using beer/soda can flats to transport just the trailers, but still getting some damage thru the years.

Date: 09/20/20 14:37
Author: SPDRGWfan

I bought a couple of the Spring Mill boxes and thought about getting a couple more but snoozed and losed. TOFC packing seems like it would work if you didn't put the trailers on the flatcars while in transit.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/20/20 15:30
Author: funnelfan

I actually transport the trailers and containers seperately, with the exception of a few 89' and 60' flatcars with mounted containers. I weight the loose trailers and containers so they stay on the cars better. This gives me the needed flexiblity to model intermodal trains that are more SP, or more BN depending on what I feel like running.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/20/20 17:47
Author: sp8234

I use A line/Proto Power West tall cases with 2 cardboard dividers in them so I can have 16 89ft flats in 1 box. I use a short case for trailers without a divider.
Yes they are expensive but how much is the train or engines that we have.

Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 09/21/20 05:27

Thanks Tim, I'm also using the PPW case's! Good idea with the cardboard, I have one case that contains Spine cars, I will try this to double up the bare tables, and use the empty case's for the trailers. Have had any damage issues with the flat car trailer hitches?

Date: 09/23/20 07:40
Author: alamode

I use carboard boxes designed to transport checks - with cardboard dividers and bubble wrap. Gives me two levels -- so the well cars on the bottom and the containers for them on the top. For TOFC trailers, I use a paper ream box, again with cardboard dividers and bubble wrap, and long flatcars go in the check boxes, while spine cars go in their original boxes in a large freight box.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds