Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Why do Athearn F-unit$ still have misplaced dashboards?

Date: 10/24/20 16:12
Why do Athearn F-unit$ still have misplaced dashboards?
Author: RRBMail

Okay, Let's start over with a entirely new thread. Can any TOs explain why Athearn's Gen. F-units, pricey as they are, still place the very visible dashboard about 6' onto the engineers lap instead of underneath the windows as god and EMD commanded? Not even a fix-it kit is available. Some years back, Model Railroader had an article on how to modify the dash casting to look like the prototype. But, I recall the author noting the the fix was so difficult to do, that he would never try it again. I once ask Horizon about when it might be remedied and they said: "Never!" Nothing like plunking down $250-$300+ and leave feeling like a rube. Heck, I can get that feeling free from almost any politician. So, is there someone out there who would consider making a 3-D printed replacement part--in EMD utility green? Maybe start with the illustrations from the MR article and fashion a one- piece drop-in replacement? I would order about 30 of them right out of the gate. Any takers? 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/20 16:13 by RRBaron.

Date: 10/24/20 16:35
Re: Why do Athearn F-unit$ still have misplaced dashboards?
Author: PHall

Or you could make this product and sell it at a handsome profit.

Date: 10/24/20 17:32
Author: patd3985

Let me guess.......Uhhh..Made in China?...

Date: 10/24/20 17:38
Author: ESPEE5318

I think that interior was designed by china , we need a interior whip something up , with no idea what it it was suppose to look like/fit like, I have taken it and cut/modify/paint etc to get something that actually works..........Joe

Date: 10/25/20 00:35
Author: RRBMail

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or you could make this product and sell it at a
> handsome profit.

Beyond my skill level, that's for sure.

Date: 10/26/20 07:27
Author: Arved

If you can find it, Keystone Locomotive Works made a cab interior kit. IIRC, it was pretty good. Shame they seem to be out of business.

I found a thread on another site on building an E8 interior in O scale. You should be able to adapt the ideas to building a kit in HO: https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/how-to-make-an-e-8-cab-interior

I'm going to look at modifying the Athearn interior casting to provide a simplified interior. Cutting it at the dash for starters. Then maybe extending the floor, adding the control stand, and ultimately some figures.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 10/28/20 10:48
Author: wabash2800

I'm glad someone besides me noticed this (a long time ago). I thought maybe it was just me. I have thought about painting it black to see if it would become invisible.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/29/20 06:17
Author: Arved

Anybody try this cab interior kit for the Athearn Blue Box F7 in their Genesis F?

https://littletrainshop.com.au/tarkine-models-unpainted-ho-cab-interior-to-suit-athearn-bluebox-emd-f-series-ho-gauge/

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds