Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Model Railroading > MTH CSX 911 & 1776


Date: 11/21/20 20:46
MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: conrail4022

When I first heard these were being released I was very excited & preordered them.

Having picked them up today I can only express how disappointed I am with them. Just a QUICK look  - 

1776 - Missing the military branch seals on the sides for starters? Wasn't that kinda the point........

911 - Missing the flag / WTC rememberance on the rear in addition to the window graphics.

What the hell MTH? I know you've gained a reputation as flaky over the years & the company is up for sale but for 400+ dollars that's the BEST you can do - REALLY?

After having issues with 3 of 10 of the NS heritages wired backwards I gave MTH another chance.

Maybe it IS time for MTH to go away.

Anyone else who wants them - let's see how Scaletrains does. Don't waste your money on the MTH ones.



Date: 11/21/20 21:21
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: needles_sub

Pictures? Did they come with steerable trucks?
I think someone makes decals for these. Could be a easy fix.

Posted from Android



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/20 21:23 by needles_sub.



Date: 11/21/20 21:40
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: conrail4022

It is an easy fix for me. Decs on order. Maybe not for some others.

My thing is the point of correctness for the price that is being charged.

For these types of prices being charged anymore it should be correct, not have to order another 20 or 30 bucks of decals to finish the job for the manufacturer. 

For 200+ each I expect accuracy. If it can't be done then PLEASE tell me ahead of time so I can make an informed decision whther to accept or decline the innaccuacy, especially in our age of preorder, preorder.

Haven't even looked at the trucks. Was so annoyed I just put the engines back in the box & ordered the decs to finish them.

 



Date: 11/22/20 00:29
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: needles_sub

MTH isn't alone in errors.

Posted from Android



Date: 11/22/20 08:14
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: Txtrainman60

needles_sub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MTH isn't alone in errors.
>
> Posted from Android

Yeah....Atlas comes to mind as well.



Date: 11/22/20 21:19
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: lynnpowell

< < < 1776 - Missing the military branch seals on the sides for starters > > >

I read somewhere that the military branches prohibited the model manufacturers from using their "branch seals", threatening legal action if they did.



Date: 11/22/20 23:28
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: needles_sub

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> < < < 1776 - Missing the military branch seals on
> the sides for starters > > >
>
> I read somewhere that the military branches
> prohibited the model manufacturers from using
> their "branch seals", threatening legal action if
> they did.

Our taxes pay for the military. They are not a private company. We as tax payers own those seals.
Just my opinion.

Posted from Android



Date: 11/23/20 05:46
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: WLE2679

Do the scaletrains ones coming out not have these issues? 



Date: 11/23/20 12:14
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: toledopatch

needles_sub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lynnpowell Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > < < < 1776 - Missing the military branch seals
> on
> > the sides for starters > > >
> >
> > I read somewhere that the military branches
> > prohibited the model manufacturers from using
> > their "branch seals", threatening legal action
> if
> > they did.
>
> Our taxes pay for the military. They are not a
> private company. We as tax payers own those seals.
>
> Just my opinion.

As a taxpayer, I'm perfectly fine with the idea that the branches of our military require licensing for the commercial use of their emblems.



Date: 11/23/20 12:24
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: brfriedm

At one point, MTH was the only company that announced these CSX HO units. I thought Intermountain might do them but they did not as they seemed the logical player here. I believe Walthers announced one of the units. Of course no one thought Scale Trains would do these as they were not doing the AC/DC GEVO's, just the T4's. and then the announcement and their units which are pictured below. Once I saw this, any intention of buying the MTH units went out the window. I am quite suprised anyone bought the MTH units with the amazing Scale Trains units soon to come.(mid December)  Bruce




 








Date: 11/23/20 12:28
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: toledopatch

For prototypical accuracy, anyone buying these models should leave them on a shelf until Boychuk is gone from CSX.



Date: 11/23/20 17:41
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: needles_sub

"I am quite suprised anyone bought the MTH units withthe amazing Scale Trains units soon to come.(mid
December)" Bruce

For train shows, I like the MTH handrails. They more robust than the flimsy ST handrails when a child tries to handle them or rerailing in the event it derails. I let the kids run my train at shows.
My first ST diesel was poorly assembled, glue marks, etc. Maybe they were rushed to beat IM to market, maybe a fluke. Rotating caps is a novelty I don't care for. Lost a couple during train shows. ST customer service is good for replacements. My model didn't come with replacements.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/20 17:42 by needles_sub.



Date: 11/23/20 17:51
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: PHall

needles_sub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I am quite suprised anyone bought the MTH units
> withthe amazing Scale Trains units soon to
> come.(mid
> December)" Bruce
>
> For train shows, I like the MTH handrails. They
> more robust than the flimsy ST handrails when a
> child tries to handle them or rerailing in the
> event it derails. I let the kids run my train at
> shows.
> My first ST diesel was poorly assembled, glue
> marks, etc. Maybe they were rushed to beat IM to
> market, maybe a fluke. Rotating caps is a novelty
> I don't care for. Lost a couple during train
> shows. ST customer service is good for
> replacements. My model didn't come with
> replacements.

For train shows, if I were letting kids run trains it would be "Blue Box" Athearn units only. Abuse tolerant and doesn't break the bank if they hit the floor.



Date: 11/24/20 00:06
Re: MTH CSX 911 & 1776
Author: needles_sub

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> needles_sub Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "I am quite suprised anyone bought the MTH
> units
> > withthe amazing Scale Trains units soon to
> > come.(mid
> > December)" Bruce
> >
> > For train shows, I like the MTH handrails. They
> > more robust than the flimsy ST handrails when a
> > child tries to handle them or rerailing in the
> > event it derails. I let the kids run my train
> at
> > shows.
> > My first ST diesel was poorly assembled, glue
> > marks, etc. Maybe they were rushed to beat IM
> to
> > market, maybe a fluke. Rotating caps is a
> novelty
> > I don't care for. Lost a couple during train
> > shows. ST customer service is good for
> > replacements. My model didn't come with
> > replacements.
>
> For train shows, if I were letting kids run trains
> it would be "Blue Box" Athearn units only. Abuse
> tolerant and doesn't break the bank if they hit
> the floor.

I only had one engine dropped in 30 years. The kid was looking at the model and his mother yelled "drop that train", he did.

Posted from Android



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds