Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Model Railroading > Santa Fe in foreign territory

Date: 11/26/20 13:52
Santa Fe in foreign territory
Author: jdw3460

I'm sure many have seen the iconic photos of the final wheeze of steam on the Santa Fe, where 2-10-4 steam locomotives were used as helpers for FT and F7 diesels on the Abo grade east of Belen, NM.  Here are a couple shots of 5014 helping FT 148 up a grade on the Kingsport Sub of the Clinchfield Railroad on the Blissfield Model Railroad Club layout (Blissfield, Michigan).  The 5014 is a PFM United brass model (ca 1968) with a Soundtraxx Tsunami 2 decoder and the FT ABBA units are Stewart models (ca 1990)  The A units are powered and the B units are dummies. The powered units have early Digitrax decoders with no sound.  Needless to say, the train had ample power to climb the 2% grade on the mountain connecting the C&O and Clinchfield.

Date: 11/26/20 14:46
Re: Santa Fe in foreign territory
Author: brfriedm

No such thing as foreign territory on a club layout lol.

Bruce

Date: 11/26/20 20:42
Author: railstiesballast

I have an old monaural CD of just that power set from near Mountaineer, NM.
For a few seconds the steamer goes behind an overpass and the diesel sound comes through but soon they are under the highway and the 2-10-4 bursts out.
Your scene is real to me.

Date: 11/27/20 12:42
Author: ChrisCampi

Very nice scenes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds