Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Model Railroading > Rod Loder's Oakridge Depot

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/04/21 16:31
Rod Loder's Oakridge Depot
Author: bcbarney

Rod Loder really needed this depot...now he has it!!!  Oakridge, OR, mid-70's era, HO scale.

Bruce Barney

Date: 01/04/21 17:04
Re: Rod Loder's Oakridge Depot
Author: dmaffei

So what does Rodney need next? That depot.looks fantastic. How long did it take to grow the moss on the roof?  :-) Now if we can get Mr Loder to give us a layout report? 
Nice work as always Bruce.

Date: 01/04/21 17:11
Author: WAF

Neat

Date: 01/04/21 17:17

Dave,
Rod will have all the mainline ready to run in about two months, according to him!
Bruce

Date: 01/04/21 17:48
Author: ChrisCampi

Really nice. Looks like one of the LaserArts kits.

Date: 01/04/21 17:53

Designed and cut by me!
Bruce Barney

Date: 01/04/21 18:42
Author: grahamline

Anything Loder Wants.

Date: 01/04/21 19:43
Author: Betsy

grahamline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anything Loder Wants.

True that!  At some point, Rod is going to need to replicate that derailment that took out all the tool sheds ;-)

Great work as always Bruce!

Elizabeth

Date: 01/04/21 19:45

With everything he has done for me and my family, you bet, anything he wants!!!

Bruce

Date: 01/04/21 19:46

Dave,
Rod needs Chiloquin depot!
Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/21 19:47 by bcbarney.

Date: 01/04/21 20:14
Author: dmaffei

bcbarney Wrote:
> Dave,
> Rod will have all the mainline ready to run in
> about two months, according to him!
> Bruce

Good news! That place is crazy cool. 
http://espee-in-oregon.com/rodespee/
SP in Oregon heaven. The ultimate model railroad man-cave / museum. 

Date: 01/04/21 21:34
Author: photobob

Waiting to give Train 20 a roll by at Oakridge. I took this in 1964,

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 01/04/21 23:02
Author: ln844south

HO Version of the Chiloquin, OR  depot was built for me by a modeler in Maricopa, Ca. He built it board by board and is a great model.
When I get it painted will have to post a picture. I am going to loan it on a small diorama to Train Mountain in Chiloquin.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Date: 01/05/21 08:44
Author: BAB

Is this the N scale layout some where around Oakridge? A friend from Portland has been working on one in that area. Boyd in Chiloquin

Date: 01/05/21 09:35
Author: SPDRGWfan

Does moss really grow on roofs in California?  

Pretty cool depot!

Date: 01/05/21 09:45
Author: railstiesballast

1.  Moss might grow on roofs in northern CA, but Oakridge is OR, and the good citizens of Oakridge want an apology sir!
2  Might the subject of this thread better be "Bruce Barney's...." as he built it.
I respect and admire the work of both Rod and Bruce, in this case Bruce cut the wood.

Date: 01/05/21 10:07
Author: TCnR

re Chiloquin, the Train Mountain operation has greatly changed the hobbies view of Chiloquin, at one time it was a very small town that not many people knew of. The town had been one of the more developed logging towns and was a commerce center for the immediate area, there's been some interesting historical info presented in websites, the top link still has some photos and stories from previous editions.

https://chiloquin.com/chiloquin-home/chiloquin-history/
https://chiloquin.com/

During the steam era the town had a wye to turn the helpers for Calimus Hill. Later a number of photos have been taken of the mainline action with the long siding, lots of older photos in the TO archives for example.

There's also stories about a big train derailment, something about a 1950's Boy Scout special in mulitple sections with the last section derailing on the crossover. Much of this has been posted on TrainOrders in the distant past, one of the subcribers was working on the CTC installation in town when it happened. The Depot is a classic SP construction for a small town, Photobob was able to find negatives in the Shasta Diviion Archives and posted some of TO, here's one that I could find:

Date: 12/07/18 17:21
Espee Depot Friday
Author: photobob

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4685093,4685093#msg-4685093

For me, it was the nearest town after chasing the OC&E. Easy route back to hiway 97 and a few mainline trains, a unique siding with an active lumber mill. Later I had my truck camper and would follow the SP main back into Williamson Canyon area with lots of interesting places to camp and watch the SP / BN mainline. After PhotoBob found the Chiloquin Depot photos we found a craftsman modeler in the Yreka area who built an HO scale model of the depot for me. That model was displayed at the Espee in Oregon meet in Oakridge.

Yup, both Oakridge and Chiloquin are in Oregon.

Date: 01/05/21 11:07
Author: johnsweetser

It's interesting that in photobob's photo, the brown trim around the windows in the open-air portion of the depot appears much darker than the trim on the column in front of the station wagon. The trim color on the column is SP's standard light brown. While it's possible the window trim was painted dark brown, that would be unusual. I've seen a color photo of only one wooden SP depot painted with both light brown and dark brown trim, the depot at Indio, so I'm inclined to believe it's just a lighting issue in the photo.

Other photos of the Oakridge depot, such as one posted on TO 12 years ago in the thread "Depot Friday Oakridge OR" show all the windows on the front of the depot surrounded by trim painted the standard light brown.

It doesn't appear that the model of the Oakridge depot has the trim color correct but maybe that's just the result of the photography. Clearly incorrect is the painting the columns of the open-air portion colonial yellow.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/21 13:46 by johnsweetser.

Date: 01/05/21 11:17
Author: SPDRGWfan

railstiesballast Wrote:
> 1.  Moss might grow on roofs in northern CA, but
> Oakridge is OR, and the good citizens of Oakridge
> want an apology sir!

Apologies!  I'm braindead back after too many days off during the last half of Dec - PTO I had to burn or loose it.

Date: 01/05/21 15:35
Author: TomG

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> railstiesballast Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 1.  Moss might grow on roofs in northern CA,
> but
> > Oakridge is OR, and the good citizens of
> Oakridge
> > want an apology sir!
>
> Apologies!  I'm braindead back after too many
> days off during the last half of Dec - PTO I had
> to burn or loose it.

And yes, some places can have moss on the roofs. I live in the northern part where we get a couple feet of snow, have no stop lights in the entire county and has, had moss. Enough that my insurance compane threatened to cancel my home owners insurance care its a fire hazard........It appears they dont know what causes moss.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0816 seconds