Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > Foam Insulation

Date: 01/15/21 15:04
Foam Insulation
Author: TEEKAY

Was at my local model railroad shop today and I told the owner that I had pink foam for the base. To be precise, it’s the Owens Corning brand with the pink panther you can find at Home Depot.

He said it had a tendency to get messed up and “melt” or shift after awhile. Is this true? Should I rip up the base of my layout? (Haven’t put tracks down yet)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/21 15:26
Re: Foam Insulation
Author: ycsfsoya

Might try looking at Owen Corning's web sight for information, look under residential products. There are several types/grade. The most common at Depot is probably Foamular (extruded Polystyrene Rigid Foam) which lists the service temperature at 165 degrees. Unless you are running live steam, melting or deformation due to heat on a layout it would seem to indicate there's other issues that present fire hazards. Website has other details for installation that might help avoid issues.No warranty for my opinion on a layout application...be safe!

Johnny Green
Hustonville, KY

Date: 01/15/21 15:28

Lol thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/21 18:29
Author: march_hare

FWIW, I have been building scenery modules using both pink and blue extruded foam insulation board for about 25 years now. I have never had a problem with melting, warpage, or anything like that. Many of the oldest ones are still in service. 

Gardiner Cross
Cripplebush Valley Models

Date: 01/15/21 18:47
Author: atsf121

I have used the Owens Corning pink foam from Home Depot, and only had minor issues with one piece. Have had the layout for 12 years and other than a few melted spots from the soldering iron, it’s held up fine.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/21 19:34
Author: MrMRL

Melting? Just don't drop or knock over a bottle of MEK on the stuff and you'll be fine. (Think acid blood from the Alien film franchise...)

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 01/15/21 21:07
Author: PHall

Just make sure to use a foam compatable adheisive.

Date: 01/15/21 21:57
Author: Kemacprr

Has anyone had shinking issues with 2'' foam over 1/4'' ply on a 1/2'' plywood grid structure ? Thinking of building a industrial rr using this idea. Have heard of people having shinkage issues after a few years. --  Ken 

Date: 01/16/21 02:53
Author: Lighter

If there is any possible expansion/contraction issue between foam, lumber, ply, and scenery materials someone out there has had it and reported it. MOST of us have never had an issue and don't report that.

Date: 01/16/21 07:55

Awesome, thank you.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds