Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Model Railroading > Woodland Scenics SubTerrain System

Date: 01/18/21 15:25
Woodland Scenics SubTerrain System
Author: CSL_SW1001

The 2018 issue of Model Railroad Planning features an article about Doug Tagsold’s fabulous 1/72 scale Colorado & Southern. He used HO track and Woodland Scenics SubTerrain foam risers as the subroadbed. He was able to reuse much of the benchwork from his previous Terminal of Toledo layout. What isn’t clear to me is what he used as support for the SubTerrain foam risers. Did he use plywood or extruded foam sheets (insulation)? Has anyone seen this layout in person or knows what he used?

The railroad also features some substantial grades and I wondered whether he used the SubTerrain system’s incline risers for the grades and if he did, how well the system works with large elevation changes.

Thanks!

Date: 01/19/21 12:26
Re: Woodland Scenics SubTerrain System
Author: ChrisCampi

I can't comment on what that modeler used, but I just bought on 2 percent set as a tool for a tricky grade I'm having trouble visualizing.  They come in three flavors. Two percent over sixteen feet, three percent over twelve feet and four percent over eight feet. It seems to be a very smooth transition. They are a bit like pool noodles and most definitely need a stiff plywood or foam base. It can't support itself. Here are a couple of pics that might help you. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds