Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Bachmann Shay Bevel gears

Date: 02/12/21 15:25
Bachmann Shay Bevel gears
Author: tbdbitl

It seems to be a well known problem  - Bachmann HO 80 ton 3 truck Shay locomotives that were sold around 2010 or so have plastic bevel gears as part of the drive train that break.   At one point Bachmann had bot replacement trucks and also sideframes containing the bevel gears available for purchase, but these are sadly no longer available.   NorthWest Shortline (NWSL) does have available the bevel gears in metal, but no shafts to mount them on - you must do that yourself. 

I have one of these Shays and really like it, as does my grandson, but unfortunately the gears are broken.   I have just encountered the problems, and so have been unable to locate either a set of the replacement trucks, or the sideframes.   I do have a set of the NWSL gears,  which are very nicely documented, but have been unable to get them pressed onto the appropriate shaft.  I have found a couple of YouTube videos on the subject, including one that nicely documents the problem, and how to disassembe the drivetrain, but uses a very nice homemade set of jaws for a Panavise to use to press the NWSL replacements on. 

I have a NWSL puller for HO scale (part 45-4), but have not been successful in using it - mostly getting flex in the shaft instead of a gear sliding onto the shaft.

My questions -

1.   Does anyone have an extra set of the 3 trucks for the Shay that are willing to sell?

2.   If not, then what about a set of teh sideframes?

3.   Does anyone have experience using the NWSL Puller to press gears onto shafts?

Thanks in advance. 

JWL

Date: 02/12/21 16:26
Re: Bachmann Shay Bevel gears
Author: wabash2800

Maybe this previous thread will help. Also, perhaps the "Shay Fixer" mentioned can be of help.

Click here: Bachmann spectrum ho 3 truck climax issues (trainorders.com)

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/21 16:27 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/16/21 11:33
Re: Bachmann Shay Bevel gears
Author: tbdbitl

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe this previous thread will help. Also,
> perhaps the "Shay Fixer" mentioned can be of
> help.
>
> Click here: Bachmann spectrum ho 3 truck climax
> issues (trainorders.com)
>
>
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Thanks for the response.   I had found the Shayfixer from others who recommended him, so I tried contacting him, but unfortunately, I have no response.   His work looked excellent. 

I will keep trying. 

JWL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds