Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Mini camera that's not wide angle?

Date: 02/14/21 14:29
Mini camera that's not wide angle?
Author: rapidotrains

Hi all,

I bought a mini camera to take videos on my layout but I discovered when I got it that it was an extremely wide angle - 155 degrees. I wasn't clued into the angle of the lens when I bought it.

After some searching it seems that all of the mini cameras I could find are wide angle "fish eye" lenses. This looks very strange when filming a layout, as it looks like you're filming through a goldfish bowl.

Can anyone recommend a mini video camera that is not wide angle that would be good for shooting out the side of the train as well as out the front?

For now I've built a holder for my iPhone in a gondola for shooting out the side but it (obviously) won't go under any bridges....

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Date: 02/14/21 15:07
Re: Mini camera that's not wide angle?
Author: PHall

Go Pro camera?

Date: 02/14/21 15:31
Author: KM-ML4000

Pilentum on YouTube has been experimenting with the DJI mini-cam and gimbal. You might have a look at some of his videos.

Date: 02/14/21 17:23
Author: TCnR

The neighbor had good success with ' helmet cameras '. Specifically the ' RD32II 1080p .h264 Sport Cam ' but that doesn't show as in stock anywhere. The other issue is the camera files are in .avi and most folks use or post with mp4 (?) or similar, there is a conversion but it takes a while.

The neighbor recently bought a replacement and has been recording, but notably there are no more posts. Suppose when you get it figured out you don't mess with it.

Date: 02/14/21 23:51
Author: ajgreen

Gopro Session 5 works for me. You have the ability to select the video format, which alters the field of view.

Allister 

New Zealand.

Date: 02/15/21 06:20

ajgreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gopro Session 5 works for me. You have the ability
> to select the video format, which alters the field
> of view.
>
> Allister 
>
> New Zealand.

Thanks, Alister!

For now I've ordered another cheap one... 

Cheap one

Someone posted a video clip and it was not distorted at all by a wide-angle lens. If this doesn't work, then I'll have to look into a GoPro.

In the meantime I had some decent results with me iPhone. The trouble is focusing on what is on the next track. It's next to impossible...

-Jason

Date: 02/15/21 07:16
Author: BAB

I have tried a few of those used in RC drone/airplane work that will hold a mini card or trasmit to a reciever display. They are inexpesive on ebay and easy to try mine dont  have a fish eye and seems there are diffrent lenses in some. Mine also came direct from China with no problems in a few weeks.  Have just attached them to a flat car ON3 size.

Date: 02/15/21 12:09
Author: bnsftall

Hey Jason, I'd endorse the GoPro Hero 5 Session as well. It's out of production but easy enough to find.
You can select your angle preference, shoot up to 4k and it's the size of an ice cube. 

dt

Date: 02/15/21 12:36
Author: TCnR

I'm reading that GoPro has all sorts of requirements for downloading your file into your desktop. Anybody have experience with this?

Reveiws say the file transfer requires an Internet and GPS locations, as if somebody is checking on your work. Creepy is supposed to be a locomotive speed.
tia.

Date: 02/15/21 20:42
Author: chakk

The Raspberry Pi cameras that Silicon Valley Lines uses for their remote operating sessions don't seem to this engineer to be too fish-eye-like.   There are some screen shots on their web page -- Google is your friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/21 13:26 by chakk.

Date: 02/16/21 06:31
Author: Floridarailfan

The Akaso Brave 4 is small enough to fit on an HO consist and offers a nice variety of settings as alternatives to the standard wide angle view..  While the Akaso is small, mine still would not get past a trackside warehouse with a close clearance.  To solve the problem, I purchased a used Gopro Hero 5, which is the perfect size for on board HO video.  The GoPro also has alternate settings  to change the standard wide angle view.

Peter

Date: 02/17/21 06:45

Floridarailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Akaso Brave 4 is small enough to fit on an HO
> consist and offers a nice variety of settings as
> alternatives to the standard wide angle view..
>  While the Akaso is small, mine still would not
> get past a trackside warehouse with a close
> clearance.  To solve the problem, I purchased a
> used Gopro Hero 5, which is the perfect size for
> on board HO video.  The GoPro also has alternate
> settings  to change the standard wide angle
> view.
>
> Peter

Thanks, Peter! I appreciate it.

-Jason

Date: 02/17/21 13:45
Author: Cole42

Another option if you don't need sound is a "nanny cam" (small cameras to spy on babysitters, cleaning people etc).  Several years back I bought one for my layout, it fits on a flat car and I put it in front of the locomotive. Isn't any wider than the flat car it rides on.  Worked very well, though I haven't used it in a while.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1859 seconds