Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Model Railroading > Weathering with Pastels

Date: 02/15/21 06:29
Weathering with Pastels
Author: TEEKAY

Currently I’m in the process of weathering a bridge with pastels. Is there something I should spray on top so that it’ll stay? Or should it not be an issue?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/15/21 06:32
Re: Weathering with Pastels
Author: ghemr

Pan Pastel (the brand) seems to hold up after Dullcote is applied. With generic pastels it seems to wash away if sealer is applied. Since it's a bridge (which won't ever be touched once it's installed) you may not necessarily need dullcote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 06:35 by ghemr.

Date: 02/15/21 07:31
Author: tmotor

I had a similar need to seal some Pan Pastels on a black tank car.   

I documented my search for one that affected the color the least after being applied.  I must have tried at least 30 different clear coats.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,5117206

Date: 02/15/21 09:30
Author: trackplanner

I don't seal PanPastels on model equipment. I do Dullcoat glossy surfaces first to give the chalk some tooth. I wear an apron and a face mask while
applying as that dust will get in your lungs and all over the work area. 

Date: 02/15/21 12:15
Author: PHall

You might need to seal a fixed object like a bridge if you weather it with chalks.
Unless you're very lucky, dust is going to accumulate on that bridge along with the rest of the layout.
And if it's not sealed you may knock the chalk off when you dust the bridge.

Date: 02/15/21 14:15
Author: TEEKAY

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might need to seal a fixed object like a
> bridge if you weather it with chalks.
> Unless you're very lucky, dust is going to
> accumulate on that bridge along with the rest of
> the layout.
> And if it's not sealed you may knock the chalk off
> when you dust the bridge.

Fair point

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/15/21 14:52
Author: dmaffei

I use pan pastels a bunch. I recently completed this weathering project with pastels and tried Rust all Dead flat (as tmotor recommend above) as a final step and had virtually no fading of tones. I sealed it first with testors dulcoat and would recommend it on your project.
if you seal with testors, you may need to repeat the weathering until you get the desired look. 
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,5188061,5188061#5188061

Date: 02/16/21 09:55
Author: TomG

I've used pastels for weathering and had good luck. When you hit it to seal it with dull coat it tames down the effect and you can come back and ad more if you like. I did try a bottom coat of dull coat and had better luck as it gives some tooth for the pastels to bit to. Its funny, you might look at it and think well that didn't work, but then i set one next to an identical car that hasn't been done and wow it really worked well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds