Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Model Railroading > More fun with PanPastels

Date: 02/27/21 19:49
More fun with PanPastels
Author: trackplanner

Here's another Moloco car to represent the early 1970's.

Date: 02/28/21 05:59
Re: More fun with PanPastels
Author: BNModeler

Beautifully done!!!

Date: 02/28/21 07:23
Author: King_Coal

Nice job of fading. Can you provide details of your process?

Date: 02/28/21 07:45
Author: icancmp193

Just right! Excellent work!

TJY

Date: 02/28/21 10:41

>Nice job of fading. Can you provide details of your process?

The thing that I love about PanPastels is that you can get up and walk away at any time and come back to it later with no cleanup, like using an airbrush. It may have taken an entire half hour to do this car, but I doubt it. It's also easy to mix colors for different textures just by dipping your small shorthair paint brush in multiple chalks. I try to match the car color with a chaIk color and get a very small amount on the tip of a flat tipped brush and flick the powder along the top of the car sides like flicking the ashes off a cigarette. I then go back and work it down to the bottom. I don't use the PanPastel sponges unless doing a heavy coat like a PFE reefer side. I often mix a little black in with the basic color on the roof and apply it generously to the running board first, working it in to the nooks and crannies. I then tilt the car where the roof is almost vertical and tap the powder out from under the running board that has accumulated there. I use this loose powder to do each panel working downward again, varying the amount of color to each panel.

The visible parts of the underframe and brake fixtures get a good dose too after I finish with the sides. I usually give a car a coat of Dullcoat first to give the powder a tooth to stick too, but these cars have a flat enough finish that this step wasn't necessary. Even the sideframes didn't require any special treatment and took the powder well. I often need to paint sideframes first before applying the powder finish to give them some tooth, usually with a Testors paint pen. I do paint the wheels, front, back and axles with a rust color or appropriate black paint and then hit them with a rust or black and dirt color powder when dry, varying the color as needed. These cars are a real joy to work with and a big thanks to Nick Molo for producing them!

Oh, and I never bother to seal the PanPastel chalk after applied. The white and yellow lettering will be slightly brown after applying the chalk, so I use a rubber tipped eraser I bought at Dick Blicks (I think) to erase the brown powder in those areas. It goes pretty quick though. I might add that it's a good idea to wear face covering when working with this chalk as it gets everywhere, including your lungs. I also wear a cloth glove while handling the car during weathering to keep fingerprints off the body, a difficult thing to remove if it happens!

[b]Robert J Zenk[/b] added:
I never seal chalk either. It destroys the nuanced effect, and you can't control how much "disappearing" an overcoat will do. Careful handling works, and you can dust it with a soft wide makeup-style brush without losing anything. You can't manhandle stuff, but that's hardly an issue anyway. And flat paints will grab the chalk and hang onto it pretty well. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/21 10:42 by trackplanner.

Date: 02/28/21 14:07
Author: GRNDMND

Nice work Don, the car looks really good. This is something I need to start getting into soon.

KC

Date: 02/28/21 15:18
Author: ghemr

Very nice, subtle weathering---it looks good!

Date: 02/28/21 17:50

Thanks Kevin, you'll really like working with the PanPastels when you do. It's my go-to for weathering anymore because of the simplicity. I'm not one for dragging out a project, lol! Here's anoher example with some Exactrail gons before and after. It may have taken all of 10 minutes to do...

Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/21 17:57 by trackplanner.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds