Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Small scratch built office

Date: 02/27/21 20:27
Small scratch built office
Author: rnb3

I just finished this O scale structure. It's completely scratch built out of styrene. The front door and all the window frames are Grandt/San Juan castings. I made the signs in PowerPoint and photo printed them. The weathering is a mix of gouache washes and dry brushed craft acrylics. The mailbox has 16 separate pieces! 

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 02/28/21 04:50
Re: Small scratch built office
Author: KsPoker

Well Done! Great Job! Weathering is awesome! Makes the styrene go from plastic to prototypical looking building materials.

Would you mind taking a picture of the other side of your mailbox? I am scratch building an HO residential house and when I seen that mailbox of yours, I have the perfect spot for one. I was trying to count 16 pieces and couldn't get there so I'm assuming there are lots of other detail parts on the other side of the mailbox with the metal red flag?

Thanks again and enjoyed seeing your work.
Mike

Date: 02/28/21 07:23

Mike, thanks! 

The mailbox was an after thought using scraps. I thought the porch was too open/empty but didn't want a railing. The box is 2 pieces of strip capped with 2 pieces of quarter-round. It's not hollow, just painted to look hollow. The flag is two pieces of strip. The door is a piece of .005 sheet with a piece of strip for a latch. The post is one piece with the two strip supports. 3 pieces of strip and 3 nut/bolt/washer castings finish the anchor band. Looks like I mis-counted, that's 17 pieces! 

Styrene is my preferred material. I find it's biggest plus is the gluing or solvent "welding" process. Once welded, the joint is forever. I use several different solvents for a range if setting times based on the work. Whichever one is used, it still is a fairly fast construction process, and nothing keeps a project on task like speed! It is also easy to cut, shape, carve, and texture. 

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/21 07:26 by rnb3.

Date: 02/28/21 08:45
Author: tgcostello

Terrific.
TC

Date: 02/28/21 12:18
Author: wjpyper

Very nice! Good job.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 02/28/21 15:58
Author: KsPoker

Thanks for the extra photo's. I will put them to good use! I also enjoy using styrene for scratch building. Evergreen has such a wide variety of products. And yes, it is so easy to glue/weld the pieces together. I'm also amazed how you can make plastic look like wood. You did such a great job on your model.

Thanks again,
Mike

Date: 02/28/21 19:55

I messed up! Turns out the flag was on the wrong side of the mailbox! All fixed now!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 02/28/21 20:24
Author: EMD2024

I had an old head at the O scale club that I was a member of who I showed some of my On30 cars I scratch built ftom all Evergreen styrene. I actually had to x-acto a sill under a flat car to prove it was styrene. He was appaled. A little 600 grit on plastic is very convincing apparently.

MWPerkins
West Fork Narrow Gauge

Posted from Android

Date: 03/02/21 05:39
Author: atsf121

Wow!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/02/21 06:51
Author: SPDRGWfan

Beauty eh!

Date: 03/02/21 07:56
Author: ChrisCampi

Awesome job Rick.

Date: 03/05/21 15:21
Author: Matt_Gidley

Very nice! Impressive details

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds