Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Paint / Lettering Removal Current Athearn Paint?

Date: 03/04/21 18:03
Paint / Lettering Removal Current Athearn Paint?
Author: RRBMail

I know that this has probably been covered before, but I wasn't then interested. In the last years of the SP, the Roseville wreck train was entirely painted in Daylight colors, the crane, the heavy weight crew cars etc. A flat car and the snap track car( re-built from a short bulkhead flat) were solid red. I just bought an Athearn #RND85734 CB&Q  40' bulkhead flat. It already red, but the side has white CB&Q lettering. Anyone know the best lettering solvent that won't damage the red painted surface? Anyone have a color photo of the car itself to post? What is the best looking track I can cut up to load the car, remember the ties are fully exposed. Thanks in advance! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/21 07:58 by RRBaron.

Date: 03/04/21 18:20
Re: Paint Removal Current Athearn Paint?
Author: TomG

To remove the lettering, use microscale micro sol. Put a piece of paper towel over the lettering and put a drop on the towel and keep it moist. it will soften in about 10 minutes, some has taken 20. Remover the wet piece of towel and put scotch tape over the lettering and then pull off the tape. Most if not all the lettering will come off with the tape and leave the paint looking like it was never there. Repeat if needed. DO NOT bypass the tape and towel. I tried it that way agitating it with a micro brush, it will come off but leave a watered down hint of the lettering color. I use scotch super hold clear tape

Date: 03/04/21 20:01

Thanks! Brillant idea using the paper towels. I'll try that on other removal projects. Thanks

Date: 03/04/21 20:06
Author: trackplanner

They used to have a video on their site with Tom Bacarella giving a demonstration on this. Not sure if it's still there after Tom left Athearn for greener pastures...

Date: 03/04/21 22:06
Author: wabash2800

OK, so now let's say the modeler wants to add his own numbers. Does he/she paint a glossy clear coat on that area and after decaling, seal it with a clear flat or semi-gloss clear coat? Or does he/she paint the clear coats on the entire loco or car?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/21 22:07 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/04/21 22:35
Author: TomG

To ensure a good decal surface I gloss coat before and after decals, then follow up with dullcoat.

Date: 03/04/21 23:53

Not a problem, I like glossy cars! :)

Date: 03/05/21 09:16
Author: wabash2800

RRbaron wrote: "Not a problem, I like glossy cars! :)" 

But without a clear coat over your new decals the decal sheen might show. Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com   

Date: 03/05/21 11:59

"Decal scheen" will give my car that "patched" look so popular today! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4637 seconds