Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Model Railroading > How to Block Load?

Date: 03/28/21 19:29
How to Block Load?
Author: wabash2800

This is my Eel River Traction Company loco (a stripped and modified Bachmann HO 44 Tonner) that hopefully soon will be headed into the paint shop. Don't fault me on not having it done yet, I have a number of projects in the works with "Job Boxes" including a book that is top of the list.

Anyway, I found a couple of photos of GE 44 Tonners on flat cars, but they don't show enough detail of the blocking and other items needed to stabilize the loco on a flat car.  (I can figure out how the chains are attached.) Are there some photos or instruction manuals out there that show it in detail? From photos I can't tell if there are rails under the wheels but can see wood blocking.

(If anyone is curious, the paint scheme will be mostly a yellow body with black lettering and chevrons but with silver on the top, side of the hood and top portion of the cab with a black pin stripe separating the sliver and yellow, plus a black frame. Black/yellow safety stripes are planned on the ends of the pilots. The steam engine style cowcatchers will probably be painted yellow. Motive power planned for the ERTC is this 44 Tonner and an EMD SW1.)

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/21 19:50 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/28/21 22:09
Re: How to Block Load?
Author: BrynMawr

Slight nit pick.  70 ton flat car w/ 44 ton loco?    

Date: 03/29/21 00:07
Author: RRBMail

First put rails under the trucks or put each truck on a car end, I think..  

Date: 03/29/21 04:20
Author: perklocal

Here are 2 examples that I have come across. First shot of Vulcan Materials 14 which is a 65 Ton GE on CR 716345 (53' 6"  70 Ton Flat Car ex-PRR Class 41D) at Allentown,PA. on 4/29/86. On this one, in addition to the blocking, it looks like they secured the unit with a combination of steel rods and turnbuckles. Second shot of USAX 1223 which is a 44 Ton Davenport riding on 6-axle DODX 38488 at Allentown,PA. on 7/16/84. This one looks like a combination of chains and wratchets. They also carried their own loading and unloading ramps on the DODX car as well.  Hope these help and Good Luck with your project. Hope you post a shot of the finished product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/21 04:57 by perklocal.

Date: 03/29/21 16:15
Author: 1019X

BrynMawr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slight nit pick.  70 ton flat car w/ 44 ton
> loco?  
What else would you use? Unless you are modeling the 1950s or earlier, there would few 50 ton flat cars available.  

Date: 03/29/21 18:48
Author: wabash2800

Look at the capys in the two photos if you think this car is overkill. If I can find a suitable 40 ft. flatcar, I might use that.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepunlications.com

BrynMawr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slight nit pick.  70 ton flat car w/ 44 ton
> loco?    

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/21 21:11 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/29/21 19:43
Author: perklocal

Like the USPS says "If it fits, it ships"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0883 seconds