Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Model Railroading > Turnkey 3D Print Service

Date: 04/22/21 23:09
Turnkey 3D Print Service
Author: tmotor

For those with a prototype they would like to have produced as a 3D printed part, but don't want to learn CAD or deal with a 3D printer, here is an alternative:
https://www.zyxcreative.com

Ken Paterson is regularly commissioned to photograph new models for various manufacturers.  He generally will create a custom diorama for the shoot, which is usually a subject for his "What's Neat This Week" videos.  He needed some cactus to provide variety to a desert scene, and he turned to the folks at ZYX Creative to create the CAD geometry and 3D print them.

In the same way a custom decal can be designed and printed, a prototype you want to model can be designed and printed.  

I'm not associated with ZYX Creative, but know well the learning curve to generate CAD geometry for a prototype.  I have had learning CAD software on my Bucket List for a long time, and finally have a reason to dive into it.  However, if learning CAD is not on your Bucket List, this is an option to commission a project to produce your favorite prototype.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/21 19:35 by tmotor.

Date: 04/23/21 10:06
Re: Turnkey 3D Print Service
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing Tmotor. That certainly is an option. I have often wondered if there was a service like that.

Of course, I would assume the more time consumed by the CAD Designer on a project like a locomotive, freight car, or complicated structure, the price would be commensurate. That might not be feasible for most modelers, but perhaps a historical society, for example, would be willing to pay the price if it could be amortized by the number of (kits?) sold to members and nonmembers. (A pre-order process would likely be needed, and if the demand is not there, cancel the project.)  Of course, other considerations might be necessary to evaluate what kind of quality the service's printers produce.

It would seem that a prototype could be built using 3D and then used as a master for a mass production, low volume resin kit to get the unit cost (way) down.

But I may be preaching to choir, as it may be something that is not new.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/21 11:00 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/23/21 13:16
Author: tmotor

Hey Victor!

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course, I would assume the more time consumed
> by the CAD Designer on a project like a
> locomotive, freight car, or complicated structure,
> the price would be commensurate. That might not be
> feasible for most modelers, but perhaps a
> historical society, for example, would be willing
> to pay the price if it could be amortized by the
> number of (kits?) sold to members and nonmembers.

Good idea.
The bulk of the cost will be in generating the CAD geometry.  Pooling resources to cover the cost is ideal.
Once that is done, the drawing can be scaled up and down to match different scales. 
Historical societies would also most likely have the research on file, which can not only create a more accurate model, but expedite the CAD geometry due to less "guess work" for incomplete documentation of measurements.

> It would seem that a prototype could be built
> using 3D and then used as a master for a mass
> production, low volume resin kit to get the unit
> cost (way) down.

A master could be 3D printed and used to cast resin parts, but with 3D printing the cost is mainly time.  The material costs are small.  For instance a HO scale 45' trailer would be less than $1 in resin, but take 14 hours to print. 
Plus the level of detail in a resin master would be limited compared to what a 3D printer can produce.  The other advantage of a 3D printed part is it comes "assembled".  Many of the small parts that would need to be separate parts for a resin casting, can be 3D printed all at once as a finished part.  For example, the suspension for the 45' trailer would need the axles, springs, and rails cast as separate parts.  With 3D printing, the entire undercarriage could be printed as a single part.  Technically, the entire trailer could be printed a single part.  :-0

Dave

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/21 19:36 by tmotor.

Date: 04/23/21 20:48
Author: TCnR

There's been a number of hobbyists having custom work done by ZYX, everybody makes a point of saying how great the experience was and how well the parts came out. I have some bridge footings and tunnel portals, great stuff.

More ZYX posts:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,5078870,5078870#msg-5078870
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,5165336,5165336#msg-5165336

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/21 20:54 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0884 seconds