Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Model Railroading > A Tale of Two Bridges-In Progress

Date: 06/09/21 21:24
A Tale of Two Bridges-In Progress
Author: wabash2800

One of the things I really like about Proto-freelancing my Wabash RR Indianapolis Branch is that I'm not encumbered in trying to fit the real thing into limited space but still model actual Wabash structures, practices, signaling, rolling stock, etc. Of necessity, often structures are scratch-built. I have three more bridges planned on the layout and two are shown here in progress. As you can see from my other posts on Fort Wayne Union Junction, I really get into this.

click here: Bridge Abutments or Piers from Hydrocal (trainorders.com)

The first two photos depict my bridge modeled after a Lagro, Indiana Bridge (before Norfolk Southern recently changed it). The concrete span is molded from HydroCal and the steel spans are made from styrene. The concrete section is not ballasted like the steel sections and spans a small creek. The steel sections cross a road. I built the timber details on the concrete span from styrene.

The third photo depicts my second bridge in progress, which at present is just some benchwork prep work on the layout. It is modeled after a Wabash bridge that existed at Hamilton, Indiana. (Indiana Northeastern Indiana RR has since buried and replaced it with three large culverts.) I recently received a new batch of HydroCal and look forward to building molds soon. I'll mold each of the 30 ft. spans separately, but the piers will be a challenge in that they are not only rounded but tapered. The height of the bridge is about 40 ft. and the 150 ft. bridge will look good with a brace of Wabash F units on it! 

Not long ago I considered tearing out the layout but am glad that I didn't. Working on the layout has been great therapy. I have been suffering from severe burnout syndrome (not depression) that began some years ago from a series of events and have not fully recovered. I am finally seeking help but the modeling is proving to be great therapy too.
Victor 

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/21 14:41 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/09/21 22:36
Re: A Tale of Two Bridges-In Progress
Author: bearease

Thanks for the pictures. Please continue to post your progress. I always like seeing how the elements come together, even if it's in a different scale than I model.
I'd be interested in seeing how you cast the piers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds