Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > KCS SD40-2 Snoooots!

Date: 07/15/21 18:39
KCS SD40-2 Snoooots!
Author: sp8192

Who doesn't love a 120" SNOOT?!   Both started life as decorated KATO's, then stripped down to the bare bones.   Cannon and Co. noses, and a few hodge podge fans.  A few prototypical details to match the 1995 era that I model.  680 has Scalecoat 2 paint.   689 has TruColor paint.  Microscale decals. Enjoy! 

Date: 07/15/21 19:00
Re: KCS SD40-2 Snoooots!
Author: icancmp193

Very nice work and snooty!

TJY

Date: 07/15/21 20:33
Author: TCnR

Nice work. Those handrails always make me dizzy.
t4p.

Date: 07/15/21 21:05
Author: tracktime

Nice work! I like how KCS put in gyralites on much of their road power fleet years after most other roads plated over their oscillating lights.. And even better to see that replicated in model form as you have done.  The as-delivered white scheme is a true classic.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/16/21 05:02
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nicely done.

Date: 07/16/21 05:35
Author: BNSF20

Excellent work! Really like what you did with the exhust fans on top, changing some of them out with a different style, a detail sometimes overlooked. And a great job on the handrail stripes. Also the photo's do a really good job of showing your painting and decaling skill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/21 05:36 by BNSF20.

Date: 07/16/21 06:33
Author: brfriedm

Beautiful work. Thanks. Bruce

Date: 07/16/21 06:47
Author: boejoe

Ditto to all the compliments.  Was the handrail stripe preparation method described here on T.O. previously?
jb

Date: 07/16/21 07:09
Author: sp8192

Thanks for all of the nice comments! 

Handrail stripes are Microscale MC4364.   They take a little practice to get them right...but come out great once you figure it out!     I usually cut them long ways in half, cut to the length you need for the handrail, soak in water until they slide right off the paper, then apply to the handrail.   Once on the handrail, I apply a small drop of Solvaset immediately at the top and let it run down the handrail.   The decal may slide down, but use small tweezers to get them in place if so....then let dry!

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ditto to all the compliments.  Was the handrail
> stripe preparation method described here on T.O.
> previously?
> jb

Date: 07/16/21 15:25
Author: PasadenaSub

That's a lot of firecrackers on the roofs!  I never realized the KCS units had so many before.

Really nice models and photos,

Rich

Date: 07/16/21 16:14
Author: PHall

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a lot of firecrackers on the roofs!  I
> never realized the KCS units had so many before.
>
> Really nice models and photos,
>
> Rich

1 firecracker for the train radio and 2 more for the Locotrol. Which is why this unit has the long nose. To put the Locotrol equipment.
This was back in the age of big black boxes and they needed the space.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds