Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > The King of Queens

Date: 07/18/21 20:01
The King of Queens
Author: bigmc83

Over the 4th of July holiday, my family and I had the chance to head back east to Maryland to visit my parents.  We also celebrated my dad's 80th birthday, and being the model railroader myself, I sprung for a new freight car for his O scale railroad as a birthday present.  They say that O scale is the "King of all scales" and this lived up to the billing on many fronts.  I gave him a Koh's & Co O scale PRR Queen Mary FD-2 flat car plus generator load.  For those of you who don't know, Koh's produces highly detailed and very limited run models of a variety of motive power and rolling stock in O scale.  I purchased the FD-2 depressed center flat car (Queen Mary) plus the Westinghouse generator load to accompany it.  The model weighs in at ~7 lbs empty and is about 24" long.  Unfortunatly our test run discovered some tight clearence areas (with no damage during the process!) around the layout.  My father models 1950s PRR Middle Division (Harrisburg to Mt Union)  The layout is about 37 years old and has gone through several transformations, including being remodeled from Potomac Yard to Baltimore region in order to add the EBT to the operation.  The room is 26' x 40' and the railroad is folded over dogbone with tracks literally heading to the ceiling.  Scenery is not a strongpoint, but the railroad hosts monthly operating sessions to this day.  Thanks for looking

-Sean McCaffery
Ankeny, IA

1.  The Queen Mary
2.  I pulled out the J1 for this one.  It's a Westside KTM model which has been weighted to 18 lbs (loco only) for pulling!
3.  Checking clearances

Date: 07/18/21 20:03
Re: The King of Queens

1.  State Yard, Harrisburg, PA
2.  Coupling up
3.  Another view of the room.  You can see the multiple levels, with Mt Union, PA being the top level heading to the Altoona staging looks on the ceiling

Date: 07/18/21 20:04

1.  Later I switched to the L1, another painted and detailed KTM model
2.  The train passes Harrisburg passenger station.  
3.  A shot of the passenger cars in Harris.  Most of the cars are American Standard kits built and painted by my dad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/21 20:06 by bigmc83.

Date: 07/18/21 21:07
Author: railstiesballast

A treat for our eyes, and I'm sure your visit and gift were a treat for your dad too.

Date: 07/18/21 22:25
Author: TomG

A treat for sure.

Date: 07/19/21 04:19
Author: SeaboardMan

Yah, O scale.  Looks nice, thanks.
john

Date: 07/19/21 04:42
Author: brfriedm

Have operated on your dad's layout several times. That car is impressive!  I am sure he loved it. Send my regards to your dad!  Bruce

Date: 07/19/21 10:49
Author: SantaFeRuss

Two rail "O" scale is very nice. Great gift in the form of the "Queen Mary" depressed center flatcar. 

SantaFeRuss

Date: 07/19/21 20:29
Author: atsf121

Wow, impressive layout and super nice gift.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/22/21 09:25
Author: inyosub

I have that car in HO scale. It was great to see it with a load! 
I enjoy whipping the box out and having people guess what is in it.
No one ever has a clue about that monster!  Thanks for sharing !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds