Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Concrete Tie Turnouts

Date: 07/27/21 06:43
Concrete Tie Turnouts
Author: bigmc83

I'm curious if any HO options exist out there for concrete tie turnouts as found on the Northeast Corridor.  I know most freight railroads just use wooden ties for turnouts and concrete ties for mainlines, but that is not the case on the NEC.  I thought of just painting the ties grey, but obviously the profile is wrong.  I'd be willing to try making my own wiht the templates and turnout kits available, but I still don't think any sort of concrete ties exist in those lengths.  A Google search shows that Peco used to make one, but it seems tricky to find, and was only available in one size.  Here are a few images of the layout in progress showing the concrete tie track and superelevation on the curves acheived through styrene shimming.  I currently have a wooden tie turnout in place for a lead off the main.  

Thanks,
Sean McCaffery

Date: 07/27/21 07:36
Re: Concrete Tie Turnouts
Author: brfriedm

I would just paint the ties and move on. Once ballasted, u will not know the difference.  Bruce

Date: 07/27/21 07:47
Author: dh1205

I agree with Bruce.  I would just paint the ties.

Date: 07/27/21 07:54
Author: spsunset

Only found ho code 75 left and right medium radius switches online auction e...

Date: 07/27/21 07:55
Author: mcdeo

I don't think there are any yet, but could be a good option, at least for #6 or #8. Wouldn't need them in smaller sizes yet. Like you said, most freight RR's don't use them much yet, but I have seen a few starting to appear on some heavy mainlines. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 07/27/21 09:00
Author: railstiesballast

Concrete switch ties are usually rectangular in cross section (whereas crossties are trapizoidal, narrower at the top) and they are flat across the whole top surface (whereas crossties are usually lower between the two rails).
The photo shows both switch ties and crossties on Caltrain, the old Southern Pacific San Francisco to San Jose line, near Bayshore.
Rail seats, rail braces for stock rails, and guard rail and frog plates are mounted to these top surfaces.
I think printed circuit board ties would be a good start for the concrete ties themselves but the "jewelry" on top of the ties will be a challenge.
Fast Tracks makes kits and assembly jig that use PCB for some ties, I don't see why their kits would not work using all PCB ties.
If you choose to use a plastic "wood tie" turnout, I'd make an attempt to fill in or sand off the "grain" cast into the surface.
Not my problem as I am back-dating my layout.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/21 09:07 by railstiesballast.

Date: 07/27/21 13:12
Author: dcmkris

That's an interesting PIC didn't realize that they used a different profile for turnout concrete ties.

I agree with you think I would use wood tie turnout and sand off the "grain" so its smooth. Perhaps
the proto87 stuffmight have a solution I don't think their ties have any grain so just painting them
concrete color may work, not sure they have any concrete tie plate & tie down details though.

Date: 07/27/21 15:36
Author: ChrisCampi

That's a great photo showing the spring frog and beefed up bracing along the guard rails. Regarding sanding the grain, I think I would try Rust Oleum body filler primer instead to fill in the grain and paint from there. Just a thought.

Date: 07/27/21 21:02
Author: Dewman45

Piko makes them.

Date: 07/29/21 08:42
Author: spsunset

Found some here if you can use.Link below

peco concrete tie turnout in Toys and Hobbies | eBay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/21 07:47 by spsunset.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds