Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > Casting around ...

Date: 01/05/22 11:02
Casting around ...
Author: Jeff_Johnston

While I realize that 3D printing is all the rage these days and doing some amazing stuff, I'm still an old-school guy who enjoys making patterns, silicone rubber molds and casting parts in urethane plastic. During my current office and shop organizing efforts it's become clear that rubber molds tend to reproduce in a storage box when I'm not looking. Kind of surprising to look back on all the items in my inventory and it's fun to think how these mass-produced parts have saved me a ton of scratchbuilding when I need a bunch of any one item that's not commercially available.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 01/05/22 11:07
Re: Casting around ...
Author: wabash2800

I like working with that medium too and also plaster molds for piers, abutments, etc.

Victor

Date: 01/05/22 11:17
Author: TomG

Made me laugh Jeff. True 3D printing can do good things, But you making molds and producing your own IS Model Railroading and shows your skills as a craftsman. I want to get into mold making and start casting things myself, but dont know much about it yet. Feel free to start a master class on here. lol

Date: 01/05/22 15:10
Author: Matt_Gidley

I'm with ya!  There's a lot to learn to get good results on mold making and casting, but in the end you'll end up with parts that are better than what 3D printing can produce (for now.)  I'm sure it'll end up being another lost art after 3D printing eventually reaches close-up wirthy detail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds