Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Model Railroading > The Latest from the Weathering Shop…Chessie (WM) 4687

Date: 01/05/22 20:51
The Latest from the Weathering Shop…Chessie (WM) 4687
Author: OnTheSiding

Of all the rib side covered hoppers, the low-sill 4427 is my favorite...the relatively compact size is great for small layouts.  No matter what I tried, this photo would not attach in the normal manner..  The photo was taken correctly, but when I hit the "attach" button, it flips it to upside down.   

Date: 01/05/22 21:09
Re: The Latest from the Weathering Shop…Chessie (WM) 4687
Author: Kemacprr

The reporting marks are still correct !!! ------ Ken 

Date: 01/05/22 21:41
Author: TomG

fixed

Date: 01/06/22 07:00

Thanks very much, Tom.  

Date: 01/06/22 07:32
Author: AVR3001

Nice looking car great weathering job is quite realistic.  Curious, what paint did you use and how did you paint the rails and ties i the foreground?  (I am about to paint all of the track o my layout and I like the color of your rails.)

Date: 01/06/22 09:39

Thanks very much for the feedback, as I do not have any other modelers in my area and so it is nice to be able to gauge my work via online comments from other modelers.

I do small layout/dioramas and so I am pretty precise in my work.  Would like to have a large, continuous-running layout but I have a large family instead.  All of my paint work is with rattle cans and high-end modeling paints (such as Mission, ModelFlex, and Vallejo, and various acrylic artist paints that I get at Hobby Lobby) using a brush.  On the rails, I used a Rustoleum red primer, and then did some light shading with some other Krylon and Rustoleum flats, but much of the color you see there is from the red primer.  I like to add gray and light brown in random patches, as that is how the rails I have seen tend to be (especially along certain lines where there may be cement or other dusty freight being hauled).  Also, I love the dusty look.  It works well for lots of locales, not just the American or Canadian West.  I have done lots and lots of prototype photography and railfanning (decades worth) and so there is lots stored in my brain...more than I can ever retrieve.  Anyway, the track is Peco 83 flex on the main and 70 on the sides.  The ties were done with either four or five shades of mostly Krylon flats (light brown, light gray, dark gray), and, again, I like to vary things (but do not like anything "sticking out" too much).  I spray the rails first, with the ties masked, and then I do the opposite for the ties...and then will add a final dash or two of spray, with neither masked.  The paint seems to stick okay, but I would handle it carefully as it will chip off with some pressure (thanks to the delrin plastic ties).  I also use a wooden paint mixing stick (or other leftover wooden gadget) to wipe the paint off the tops of the rails right after spraying, while the paint is still wet...a time-saving trick and the wooden paint mixers are free when I buy paint.

All in all, my approach and work tend to be somewhat time-consuming, but I am glad you like the results.  Such is why I try to avoid wasting time in other areas of modeling, as I like to save it for the fun stuff...like weathering track and rolling stock and carving rocks out of scratch-built hardwood forms.

I am at work and when I get home I can give you the exact paint colors I have used.

Happy modeling!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/22 09:48 by OnTheSiding.

Date: 01/07/22 18:39
Author: AVR3001

Thank you, I have been considering masking options.  Looks great!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.5974 seconds