Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Model Railroading > I don't know what to do...

Date: 01/17/22 10:35
I don't know what to do...
Author: hartrick24

My last two loco buys have me very upset. First is a ATHG70517 HO SD70M with a front right ditch light burnt out, right out of the box. The second is a new BC-Rail ATHG 31604 with the front number board that go off and on, and the right side ditch lights that are almost out.
I've called and emailed them about 12 to 15 times about the 70M. So i'm thinking my chances with the BC-Rail are also slim. Looking on Athearns website they list a few different types of Led's, how do you figure out which one to use? Wiring is not my thing so if I can get the lights, I will have to pay to have them changed. Thank you if your able to help...

Steve H.

Date: 01/17/22 11:08
Re: I don't know what to do...
Author: KM-ML4000

I received a recent GP9 release as a XMAS gift, and it had a couple broken parts floating around in the box. I went to the Athearn web page and sent an email to their customer service / support email, and already have received the parts. Not sure why you are not getting a response from them.

Date: 01/17/22 11:17
Author: grahamline

My new Athearn engines show up with  detailed parts list. Did you not get one? This should give you a number for the LED.  Nothing I order has ditchlights, so I can't help with details.

Date: 01/17/22 12:37
Author: DevalDragon

A lot of Athearn models no longer come with parts lists or diagrams. That is a bit annoying. I've been trying to get a part number for a SD70 horn for quite some time.

Date: 01/17/22 14:55

As bad as I wanted this loco, I started the process for a return. Athearn jumps over hoops to sell stuff, but they have no customer service...I'm over them...

Date: 01/17/22 15:01
Author: TomG

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A lot of Athearn models no longer come with parts
> lists or diagrams. That is a bit annoying. I've
> been trying to get a part number for a SD70 horn
> for quite some time.

Strange.... In the last year I bought 2 RTR SD40s, 3 Genesis GP40-2s, 8 Genesis Funits and 4 Genesis cabooses and all came with parts diagrams. Did you get yours second hand?

As far as the original poster, did you check the light conections on the motherboard? Those little clips are not the best of connections. Solder is the best alternative.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/22 16:34 by TomG.

Date: 01/17/22 15:26

TomG Wrote:
> DevalDragon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A lot of Athearn models no longer come with
> parts
> > lists or diagrams. That is a bit annoying. I've
> > been trying to get a part number for a SD70
> horn
> > for quite some time.
>
> Strange.... In the last year I bought 2 RTR SD40s,
> 3 Genesis GP40-2s, 8 Genesis Funits and 4 Genesis
> cabooses and all came with parts diagrams. Did you
> bet yours second hand?
>
> As far as the original poster, did you check the
> light conections on the motherboard? Those little
> clips are not the best of connections. Solder is
> the best alternative.

Tom, I don't have the skill to do that. I bought it from a very good company.

Steve H

Date: 01/17/22 15:29

hartrick24 Wrote:
> TomG Wrote:
> -----
> > DevalDragon Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > A lot of Athearn models no longer come with
> > parts
> > > lists or diagrams. That is a bit annoying.
> I've
> > > been trying to get a part number for a SD70
> > horn
> > > for quite some time.
> >
> > Strange.... In the last year I bought 2 RTR
> SD40s,
> > 3 Genesis GP40-2s, 8 Genesis Funits and 4
> Genesis
> > cabooses and all came with parts diagrams. Did
> you
> > bet yours second hand?
> >
> > As far as the original poster, did you check
> the
> > light conections on the motherboard? Those
> little
> > clips are not the best of connections. Solder
> is
> > the best alternative.
>
>    Tom, I don't have the skill to do that. I
> bought it from a very good company.
>
>    Steve H

Tom, if Athearn would ever get back to me about replacement Led"s that woud be great, but they don'tt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/22 04:50 by hartrick24.

Date: 01/17/22 16:33
Author: ATSFSuperCap

I have always had good service from Athearn.     I have a UP early style Challenger that had the sound board poof ( ESU ).     I sent an email and they responded a couple of days latter and said send in the loco and they would fix it no cost.   Got it back a couple of weeks latter and it has been fine.    Maybe the Covid crissis has them messed up.    Keep trying I am sure they will take care of the problems.

Date: 01/17/22 16:40
Author: PHall

You can call them on the phone too.

Date: 01/17/22 18:38
Author: Streamliner

Heck, when I needed anything special, I'd just drive over to Compton and ask Irv.  If you brought him donuts, he'd give you anything you asked for.  Just a few years ago.:)  Sorry, but "blue box" Athearn, made in Compton, California, USA was simply wonderful stuff.  Guess you had to be there.

Hope you are all doing well,

Allen Drucker

Date: 01/17/22 23:05
Author: SantaFeRuss

I used to work at Athearn in Compton in the 1980's. Nice view of the Southern Pacific line to the harbor area. I was the guy that used to repair loco's and send out parts for loco's, passenger and freight cars to customers. Times have changed. No more personalized service.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 01/18/22 07:14
Author: BAB

I went on line and got what I needed with no problems calling doesnt always work too well. But I also fly RC planes was having trouble with a second hand airplanes reciever, wrote a reqest about it, wanted to recieve a call.  Answer back was need number and time when I would be avalible got the call next morning from a tech at Horizon took care of my questions was in no hurry, made sure I understood things. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0748 seconds