Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Model Railroading > Berrian Vista

Date: 05/08/22 23:23
Berrian Vista
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Things are looking up in Berrian Vista these days.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 05/09/22 08:30
Re: Berrian Vista
Author: ChrisCampi

Hi Jeff, I've been very interested in your progress as I'm sure you know. What I find really interesting is my first reaction to all the new lumber in these photos. It's Almost shocking when being so accustomed to seeing weathered everything all the time. But in 1927, I'm sure there would be lots of new lumber and construction in a lumber town which makes it very interesting. I like the result.

Date: 05/09/22 09:14
Author: railstiesballast

Can you reveal the origin of the name "Berrian Vista"?

Date: 05/10/22 21:04

Chris: 

There is no new wood on our layout, other than for some gondolas of freshly-cut ties. The rest of the wood items are stained with india ink and alcohol. This produces a light aged wood effect, and we like sneaking up on weathering, may add more ink here and there as appropriate and as we live with the models awhile.

People look at old, weathered structures today and that's how they model them, as if they looked that way in use. Not everything made of wood looked like hell on vintage railroads. We're  modeling the facilities "in use," not 75 years later, so things look generally well kept up but showing signs of age. This, too, is subject to some change later on, but not very much.

On the prototype Sugar Pine Lumber Company part of the layout, set in 1927, the facilities were built starting in 1922 so things are no more than 5 years old. There are aged looking elements, but not falling down weathered. It's all a balance.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 05/10/22 21:05

RailsTies:

My wife Pam's maiden name is Berrian, and she's also an enthusiastic modeler, so this is "her" town. I model the prototype things, and she's a bit more fanciful in her projects.

Jeff Johnston

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds