Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Model Railroading > SP Boxcars and CP TOFC and more coming from Rapido

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/15/22 02:47
SP Boxcars and CP TOFC and more coming from Rapido
Author: funnelfan

Surprised no one mentioned the new stuff coming from Rapido. Like the SP B-70-69/71/75 PC&F double door outside braced boxcars
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-scale/freight-car/pcf-b-70-69-boxcar.html

or the CP TOFC flatcars
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-scale/freight-car/canadian-piggyback-flatcar.html

Trailmobile Trailers
https://rapidotrains.com/vehicle/can-car-trailmobile-trailers.html

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/15/22 02:52
Re: SP Boxcars and CP TOFC and more coming from Rapido

Also announced was the DOT/Amtrak Turbo Train that did demoed extensively in the US including nationwide tour in the early 1970's;
https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/582ec01a-65e8-4d98-bfc9-361897f2b9e2.pdf

and GN modernized 40' boxcars;
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-scale/freight-car/gn-40-boxcar.html

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/15/22 03:43
Author: SPDRGWfan

The PC&F SP/SSW boxcars are on my shopping list. Were there more SSW than SP in that series?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/15/22 08:54
Author: mpe383

Are these single HO trailers for $31+ or is for a set like many vendors do for HO intermodal trailers? 

I don't want to start a debate or complaint thread on the increasing cost of models, I am just making sure, as it will mean the difference between ordering and not ordering for me.  I have a number of Rapidos products and love their detail and overall quality.  

Date: 05/15/22 11:20
Author: CPR_4000

mpe383 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are these single HO trailers for $31+ or is for a set like many vendors do for HO intermodal trailers? 

Looks like the price is per trailer.

Date: 05/15/22 11:30
Author: TCnR

Very iconic SP boxcar from the 'good times'.
The Athearn and I-Mtn cars just didn't fill the need, Rapido could make another big score with this one. Sometimes the obvious is the way to go.

Date: 05/15/22 16:18

There's an interesting discussion on the MFCL Groups site that explains the SSW series with the DF ball and wing emblem were for auto parts. For those really into it the discussion also details specific numbers and delivery dates.

Date: 05/15/22 17:57
Author: dh30973

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> The PC&F SP/SSW boxcars are on my shopping list.
> Were there more SSW than SP in that series?
>
> Posted from Android

Including the B-70-63 (slightly smaller capacity) that are SSW, brings the total of the four classes to 2400 cars. SSW 55% SP 45%.

Dave Hussey

Date: 05/15/22 19:01
Author: RAS

TCnR Wrote:
> There's an interesting discussion on the MFCL
> Groups site that explains the SSW series with the
> DF ball and wing emblem were for auto parts. For
> those really into it the discussion also details
> specific numbers and delivery dates.

Hey all - Dave Hussey noted that someone commented on the MFCL post, so I thought I'd pop over here and post the same note given not everyone is on that Yahoo group. Here it is with only a few edits for context.

=-=-=

A few things to add here on the thread re: these new PCF cars from Rapido - 

There is a fourth class that Rapido didn't explicitly announce, but that essentially matches the planned model. The B-70-63 series, SSW 60500-60999 (500 cars), built Jan-Mar 1972, was the first batch. While stenciled as 5243 CuFt instead of 5258 CuFt like the later classes, the carbody appears dimensionally identical. Suspicion is that this first group had a different floor type which sits an inch or two higher, causing the discrepancy. These first cars were the only ones to come with the full "Hydra-Cushion For Fragile Freight" lettering. The later classes made due with just the Hydra-Cushion logo. 

Those DF Loader cars were a subclass of the B-70-69 cars, 66804-66894 (91 cars), built September 1973. These cars were reportedly used in auto parts service (batteries and engine blocks). They included pool service stencils as well. Those of us modeling lumber trains don't need these cars, at least not as built. Here are two Microsoft OneDrive links to images of these DF Loader cars (slides from the collection, photographer, date and location not noted):
SP 66818: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au4a4iR-fE6Kh958a3Z1zI8mM2dtmA?e=h0LzxC 
SP 66824: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au4a4iR-fE6Kh957yTYi1ibFW7Y4MA?e=34hd2a 

The entire B-70-69 car class was 821 cars total and included cars with both Youngstown and Superior Panel doors. Per PCF documents, the sub-groups were broken down as follows:
   -SSW 66529-66803, Blt 5=7/73 (255 cars), Delivered with YSD
   -SSW 66804-66894, Blt 9/73 (91 cars), Delivered with YSD = DF Loader equipment per above
   -SSW 66895-67149, Blt 6=9/73 (275 cars), Delivered with YSD
   -SSW 67150-67349, Blt 11=12/74 (200 cars), Delivered with Superior Doors
You can see a collection of PCF stencil drawings for these cars that outline the different groups and configurations here at this Microsoft OneDrive link (large TIFF file warning): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au4a4iR-fE6Kh941bhZBUZ_fhGD_3Q?e=aYahn3 

The B-70-71 cars came in two groups as well, SP 243371-243749, built 9=11/73 and delivered with Youngstown Doors, and SP 243750-244149, built 11=12/73 and delivered with Superior doors. (EDIT: there was just an additional post on the MFCL group that some of these B-70-71 cars were used in auto parts service back east, as well, minus the DF Loader and pool stencil markings.) You can see a link to the B-70-71 car stencil drawings here (again, large TIFF file warning): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au4a4iR-fE6Kh940-iu820p6-hZFQA?e=JF46DB 

B-70-75 cars were a single batch, SP 245450-245749 (300 cars), built 1=3/75, all delivered with YSD doors. No stencil drawings for these, unfortunately. 

When you do the math across the four classes, there's 2400 of these PCF cars originally purchased by SP/SSW. Hope that helps with the pre-order planning. And yes, the crew at Rapido has all this data, the drawings, and many photos to support the project. 

-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/22 08:43 by RAS.

Date: 05/15/22 20:53

Good stuff.
Thanks.

Date: 05/16/22 01:46

RAS Wrote:

> Hey all - Dave Hussey noted that someone commented
> on the MFCL post, so I thought I'd pop over here
> and post the same note given not everyone is on
> that Yahoo group. Here it is with only a few edits
> for context.

Thanks for posting all the info, it was a interesting read.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/16/22 06:47
Author: ChrisCampi

Great stuff. Thanks to all.

Date: 05/16/22 07:35
Author: mcdeo

I too didn't really see this on the internet much, as usually Rapido will post here. 

There certainly seems to some closet SP/SSW modelers at Rapido. While Canada focus is obvious for Rapido, certainly some southwest based models over the years. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 05/16/22 08:17
Author: dmaffei

Great News, awesome thread. Thanks for the info Rick! 

Date: 05/16/22 08:39

mcdeo Wrote:
> There certainly seems to some closet SP/SSW
> modelers at Rapido.

Can confirm. We're everywhere, it seems. It doesn't hurt that Espee stuff sells really well, by and large...

-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Date: 05/16/22 11:38

Yes, I was wonder about a closet SP fan at Rapdio as well!  I'm not complaining.  Looking forward to these boxcars!

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 05/17/22 08:37
Author: toledopatch

Thanks for all the details, Rick. For my intended area and era -- if I ever get to it -- most SP cars would be hauling forest products or canned goods, so it's good to know that these don't really fit for me.

Date: 05/17/22 08:44
Author: sawdust

It took me about 6 minutes and 37 seconds to place my order of an SP 6 pack.  

As a kid who grew up in Eugene in the 70's and spent more time in the yard than I should have; And worked a bit in a lumber mill in the 80's, I' been looking for more of these cars for quite a while.  I missed Atlas's release several years ago, and when I do find them, am a bit set back by the price.

Glad Rapido picked this model up

Date: 05/17/22 10:08

toledopatch Wrote:
> Thanks for all the details, Rick. For my intended
> area and era -- if I ever get to it -- most SP
> cars would be hauling forest products or canned
> goods, so it's good to know that these don't
> really fit for me.
>  

The only cars that don't fit in your lumber trains are the DF Loader cars, which were the ones used in automotive service. 91 cars out of 2400; the rest of the offerings would be right at home in your lumber trains. 

-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Date: 05/17/22 15:25

sawdust Wrote:
>  I missed Atlas's release several years
> ago, and when I do find them, am a bit set back by
> the price.

The Atlas cars were a later, slightly longer 52' boxcar made by FMC (5503).  Being an SP fan, I hunted a couple down before they became so hard to find and expensive.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1512 seconds