Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Model Railroading > Train Mountain Railroad

Date: 05/18/22 07:04
Train Mountain Railroad
Author: BAB

I was asked about a spot on our railroad where many people over the years have picnicked  out  at a place called Hope Circle.  Well going on three years ago we had a very bad forest fire here the 242 fire that took many acres of our north end.  Its going to take many years before the trees are back to much of anything, about 10-20 years they dont just spring back to anywhere near 10ft very fast let alone 40 plus.

Wrong Way Murphy asked if Hope Circle would be usable at all and the track to and from it also. Well due to many hours of work rebuilding the damaged or destroyed track there its open to run on.  This was done by several members hard work and continued clearing mud flows off of the track. But this year when we have our big meet that happens every three years there will be a shelter and benches there. The shelter was designed by one of our members Roger Rude, he along with three others have built it out of timber harvested off of the burn. Its post and beam construction along with the picnic tables it will cover.  So short answer to anyone coming here to run there trains yes Hope will be open and is right now this work of art will be worth the trip north just to see it or even have lunch or dinner there like old times.

We have some amazing members like these four who are working on the project to get it done quickly, over six months of almost daily work. No outside help  other than the tree cutting and milling took place. They started with milled wood, made all of the mortise and tenon I think its called cuts needed these are large timbers not 2x6 stuff from the local lumber store. Come see it sometime and enjoy the ride to and from it while there bring your lunch as the ride to and from takes about a half hour or so. Boyd at Train Mountain.

Date: 05/18/22 10:07
Re: Train Mountain Railroad
Author: tomstp

Boyd, any photos?

Date: 05/19/22 08:34

No have not been able to go up there as it does not have a road up there nothing is on site yet as I tried to explane. Like I tried to point out its at least a half hour up to it by train. So about all there is to see are the stumps from cutting timeber to salvage and slash piles. Boyd

Date: 05/20/22 05:05
Author: wictl

I visited Train Mountain back in 2018 and wish that I could make the trip this year but, alas, I cannot due to other obligations (25th wedding anniversary cruise, gotta keep the wife happy).  For those going, have fun,  While the fire did happen, Mother Nature does wonders on healing the scars.  While the tree may take awhile to grow back, a trip to Hope Circle is a must.  We had lunch out there almost every day during the 2018 Triennial.

Darin Umlaut
A WC, SO and GB fan in Salinger, WI

Date: 05/20/22 07:45

About healing, when in 93 I started coming to TM north of it about 20mi north there had been a burn about five years before. It had been replanted and was right along the road with unburned trees on both sides. At that time they were about three fit tall. Now they are almost twenty feet so thats the same time line we can expect for the when they get planted new ones to grow at. In my life time doubt if they will hit ten ft. And with the weather changing to a dryer growing season many be lesss. 

Date: 05/22/22 18:00
Author: agentatascadero

Oh boy, that semi-annual global event is something special.  I've only attended once, about 15 years ago, there were over 200 locomotives in attendence, including over 100 steam locomotives.  Things keep intefering with my return, but I'll be back, and soon, if I'm to do it at all.
I wonder if this is the only site of a global event like this one?

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds