Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Model Railroading > The Great Wall 'o Trains

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/19/22 09:59
The Great Wall 'o Trains
Author: BoilingMan

DTrainshooter posted his wall mounted Kato/ photo display (Very nice, BTW) so I figured I'd share my version...

When Kato released their California Zephyr I took a look, assuming it would be a simple repaint of generic Budd cars- wrong!!  Kato went all in on this.  Example: One of the CZ dome coaches had an extra small window for a conductors office.  It's a small detail, but Kato included it- I was hooked!   
I used L-shaped wood trim to create my shelves.  I started this several years ago and so far everything has stayed put.
These are the only N Scale anything I have, and I've never run any of them.   I just gaze upon them.  Most are out-of-the-box Kato, but not all...
SR  

Top to bottom:
CZ w WP ABB F3's
CB&Q Silver Streak   /   WP RDC Zephyrette  /  Milwaukee Road Hiawatha (Fox Valley)
Milwaukee Road Olympian Hiawatha
UP City of LA
AFT 4449   /   SP Coast Daylight
SP Coast Mail  w PA & E9   (Mix of various models- not 100% accurate, but not bad)
ATSF El Capitan
ATSF Fast Mail w PA & PB  (Another mix)
PRR Broadway w GG-1 & through ATSF sleeper.
NYC 20th Century Limited
CN Skeena (This one is a work in progress, forgive the dome- I'll remove it when the thing is finished.  Rapido FP9 with a mix of Rapido & Kato Milwaukee cars.  I bought a second Olympian set.  I repainted the needed CN cars and added the rest to my Olympian to lengthen it)

Date: 05/19/22 11:05
Re: The Great Wall 'o Trains
Author: SPDRGWfan

There is some money on that wall.  Nice display!

Date: 05/19/22 11:20

Yeah, I’ve added to it over the years without much thought cost wise. One day my daughter asked how much the wall was worth?

Quick calculations….

OMG!! IDK for sure- but we never discuss this with your Mom, okay?
SR

Date: 05/19/22 11:28
Author: PasadenaSub

Very impressive display!  Being N scale probably saves some room, what is the length of the wood L brackets?

Rich

Date: 05/19/22 11:49
Author: ATSFSuperCap

Bring them trains over here and we can run the hell out of em!    Passenger trains are my favorite RR thing.   My Albuquerque depot area has the double track mains in the middle and three station tracks on each side.    The only constraint is a 10 car max, plus power.    The layout is approximately 20 x 37 and the mainline run is around 290'.     Once we finish the scenery, which is nearly done, I am going to build the extension into my so called work shop for a proper Union Station arrangement.

Rich.

Date: 05/19/22 11:50
Author: railstiesballast

Do you live in earthquake country?

Date: 05/19/22 12:47

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very impressive display!  Being N scale probably
> saves some room, what is the length of the wood L
> brackets?
>
> Rich

Yes, displaying entire trainsets in HO would require serious wall space!  These wood trim strips are avalible in lengths far longer than I'd ever need (16ft?).  I think these are about 8ft.
SR

Date: 05/19/22 12:57

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you live in earthquake country?

I'm up on Donner and we have a fairly solid base.  But we do feel quakes that are centered in the Mammoth area now and then, but they (so far) have never been more than a gentle rolling. The GWoT has survived them all (so far).
I've considered an enclosed case, but then Kato goes and introduces another train!   My current system is easily expandable...
SR

Date: 05/19/22 14:06
Author: Red_over_Yellow

Very nice, thanks for sharing. 

Date: 05/19/22 15:10
Author: monaddave

Is there a portable helix to get each train set off the wall to the layout?? Oh wait...
Dave in MT

Date: 05/19/22 16:25
Author: DTrainshooter

Love it SR ! 

I also have the Super Chief and Daylight sets to go up as my next projects and I can affirm you have around five figures on that wall...maybe more.
I see mine as a decent investment...when I get tired of looking at them they'll go on eBay :)  I expect to make a few $$. 

Date: 05/19/22 16:51
Author: koloradokid

also have the Super Chief and Daylight sets to go up as my next projects and I can affirm you have around five figures on that wall...maybe more.I see mine as a decent investment...when I get tired of looking at them they'll go on eBay :)  I expect to make a few $$.  Not if E-Bay can help it.  My last sale almost lost money.  If 12.9% isn't bad enough, they doubled the shipping and then charged for the doubled amount. Robert

Date: 05/19/22 17:32

Well, everything on The Wall was purchased through Ebay, so I guess the total would be somewhat lower than “list”.. and, as I’ve said, spread out over many years- when was the first run of the Kato CZ?
But I’m pleased with the whole thing and I’ve never considered an exit strategy.
SR.

Date: 05/19/22 17:55
Author: DTrainshooter

Selling on eBay takes some effort to make it work. Timing is everything...the time of year you're selling and the time when the listing ends both make
a big difference in how many bidders you'll attract and how much an item will sell for. Too many listings on eBay fall victim to lousy presentation.
A lot of quality photos make a big difference. Take advantage of their Global Shipping program...it opens up your item(s) to a lot more customers.
It has worked well for me. I've been pleasantly surprised far more often than disappointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 17:58 by DTrainshooter.

Date: 05/19/22 19:26
Author: atsf121

Amazing!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/19/22 19:53
Author: TomG

SR, your wall looks amazing. Not to be a nitpicker, but your WP CZ is out of order. Your first dome is the buffet dormitory which should be 5th car. Coach order should be dome coach, conductor dome coach, dome coach, dome buffet dormitory.

Date: 05/19/22 20:26

Ok, thanks! I’ve tried to figure that one out, but my resources conflict and I just wasn’t sure.
I’ll fix it tonight.
SR

Date: 05/19/22 21:53
Author: PHall

The dorm end goes next to the diner, shorter walk for the dining car crew.

Date: 05/19/22 22:30

It’s been corrected.
SR

Date: 05/20/22 07:36
Author: BAB

And again you amaze me with your talents nice well great wall of trains have never seen this type of display in a persons home. 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0954 seconds