Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > 100% Scratchbuilt Bridge--Wabash RR Lagro, Indiana

Date: 08/05/22 17:28
100% Scratchbuilt Bridge--Wabash RR Lagro, Indiana
Author: wabash2800

I am at a stopping point right now with more detail and adjustments later, but it sure is satisfying to model a prototype structure (and one that no longer exists in this form). I didn't have drawings but took some basic measurements from the ground and a lot of photos. Plus, I poured over googlemaps online many times during the construction. Googlemaps still has my version in their database, though NS rebuilt the bridge with all steel, ballast deck sections several years ago. I had to guess on some details as wasn't about to climb up on the bridge to get photos from up there.

Disclaimer: I model the Wabash in the 1950s and don't know what this bridge looked like back then, but this bridge has obviously been rebuilt at some time, probably to provide more clearance over Canal Street. However, there was a builder plate on the steel beam section dated 1930. The steel "I" beams have a narrower profile than a steel, deck plate bridge. The adjustments on the piers to accommodate the steel beams make the bridge more interesting, in my opinion.

The prototype has piers and abutments wide enough to accommodate another track, but the additional track was never added. I built my version with a main and siding, but otherwise the model looks identical from the side view. A silver bridge with the black roadname (like my model) or black with white lettering would be common for the Wabash over a roadway, especially since a highway parallels the railroad here. The beams were scratchbuilt with styrene "I" beams, styrene "Ls" and decal rivets. All the unique bridge shoes were also scratchbuilt.The masonry was cast in hydrocal with custom made molds. 

I will stain and weather the bridge later, but it certainly won't look as bad as just before NS rebuilt it.

Victor B.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/22 11:42 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/05/22 17:33
Re: 100% Scratchbuilt Bridge--Wabash RR, Lagro, Indiana

The concrete span ran over Lagro Creek, which empties into the the Wabash River nearby. I look forward to modeling a creek and adding the roadway under the steel span here. I recall one occasion when an employee from the township sat in his truck watching me photographing the bridge and taking ground measurements! And I have been on googlemaps so many times at street level next to the bridge, one would think Homeland Security would want to know what was going on! LOL

Victor B.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 17:48 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/05/22 18:03
Author: NiagaraMike

Very nice modelling

Date: 08/05/22 18:10
Author: alongthejointline

Easy to see why your'e happy with how the bridge is coming along, Victor. Hope you'll post more progress photos from time to time. Admirable work!

Date: 08/05/22 19:33
Author: TomG

Very nice modeling Victor. Its looking great. Can't wait to see the completed scene.

Date: 08/05/22 20:10
Author: JETRR

Nice modeling, I have been there a few times. LOL!

Hopefully you are modeling the Wabash searchlight signals located in Lagro just west of the bridge.

Date: 08/05/22 20:28

John:

No, my model railroad is a proto-freelanced Wabash Railroad, Indianapolis Branch btw Fort Wayne and Indy in the 1950s. Most of my signals are semaphores at interlockings as it is manual block territory (except at Marion, Indiana). I like incorporating various Wabash structures on the layout. My next model is the five span bridge at Hamilton, Indiana. Later I will build this small deck trestle that was located near Delphi, Indiana both you and I photographed. It will be painted black with white Wabash lettering.

But don't underestimate the Indy Branch. A pair of passenger trains will operate btw Toledo and Indy Union station, a pair of freights btw Detroit and Indy (using Pennsy's Hawthorne Yard) and a pair of freights btw Toledo and Indy, utilizing Wabash's small yard in Indy. Add to that an every other day mixed btw Fort Wayne and Indy, an occasional drag freight out of Fort Wayne and Indy, plus extras and it'll be fun. The passenger trains will exchange cars with the mainline passenger trains at Fort Wayne.

Victor

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 21:40 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/05/22 20:43

I noticed that number two pier is leaning. I was tugging on both sides of the bridge to make it fit and didn't notice that. There is nothing wrong with the pier. It's an easy fix. The bridge is not attached to the layout yet and the track is temporary.

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 20:44 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/05/22 21:59
Author: atsf121

Great work Victor!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/05/22 23:11
Author: PHall

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The concrete span ran over Lagro Creek, which
> empties into the the Wabash River nearby. I look
> forward to modeling a creek and adding the roadway
> under the steel span here. I recall one occasion
> when an employee from the township sat in his
> truck watching me photographing the bridge and
> taking ground measurements! And I have been on
> googlemaps so many times at street level next to
> the bridge, one would think Homeland Security
> would want to know what was going on! LOL
>
> Victor B.

Send the township a photo of your model. That should ease their minds a bit.

Date: 08/06/22 13:47
Author: PasadenaSub

Fine looking bridge and Wabash engines!

Rich

Date: 08/06/22 18:00

I plan on doing that once I get it finished. It ought be worth a laugh at least...

Victor B.

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Send the township a photo of your model. That
> should ease their minds a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/22 19:21 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/06/22 18:57
Author: ChrisCampi

Looking really good Victor. Fun project to follow along with.

Date: 08/07/22 20:34
Author: TheIndianaConnection

Looks great!  I have been by that bridge many, many times.

Date: 08/08/22 13:06

Here's what the bridge looks like now (first phoito). NS removed all the old spans including the concrete one and replaced them with five steel, ballasted deck girders several years ago. The piers and abutments remain with some modifications to accommodate the new spans. Note, that it has railings now, though there wouldn't be much room to stand on the bridge with a train on it. I would hope no one would be tempted to walk it.

The second photo shows the bridge before it was rebuilt.

Victor B.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/22 13:09 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/20/22 12:18

Here's another photo with Train Master and train but in the siding. I displayed the layout for some friends from the Wabash Railroad Historical Society Meet this weekend. Again, the correct bridge track, etc. is not on the bridge yet, and there are a lot of details, staining and painting to do yet, not to mention the scenery. Look. The plastic stirrups have broken off that Pennsy box car. I sure wish that the high-end models at least would be outfitted with metal stirups for that reason.

I have started on the five-span Hamilton, Indiana bridge. The molds are little more complicated, but I think I have got all the problems worked out now. 

Victor B.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/22 12:25 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.083 seconds