Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > Getting my 4th layout started.

Date: 08/08/22 08:38
Getting my 4th layout started.
Author: joeygooganelli

I've built 3 layouts in the last 15 years. My first was an MKT HO scale railroad that sadly got dismantled when going through a divorce 12 years ago. Around the same time, I thought it would be fun to dabble in N scale. I build a portable railroad that never got beyond the benchwork stage before moving and putting the hobby behind me for a while. 5 years ago, I started another portable N scale railroad that I had hoped to get to take to train shows. It made a move 4 years ago from one house to another where it got scenery on one side. I enjoyed the heck out of tinkering with it, but realized it wasn't what I wanted for my new house. 

The new house has plenty of basement space. I have a room that had been one of three storage areas in the basement. This room is roughly 10x8. I'm planning on running into another space for about 10 feet with a turn back over itself and back into the storage room. The last few months, I sold my portable layout and started getting the room in order. I added lights first. Then built up my benchwork grid two weeks back. This past weekend, I got the layout mounted on the walls and put in a rubber tile floor under the layout. I'll be updating my facebook page on occasion to show progress.

Check out the Chessie System Ohio River sub on fb. Here is a pic of where I had gotten it to last night:

Joe

Date: 08/08/22 08:39
Re: Getting my 4th layout started.

I'll post a couple pics of my previous layouts.

Date: 08/08/22 08:40

Here was my last railroad that was set up to learn in N scale.

Date: 08/08/22 11:33
Author: northridgeswitcher

Excellent bench work making for a great start.

I am all in when it comes to using heavier lumber for my bench work so it's great to see someone else doing the same.

Keep posting progress photos and thanks for the back story on your different railroads.

Take care and be safe.

Northridge Switcher

Posted from Android

Date: 08/08/22 14:07
Author: funnelfan

You can really tolerate having a duck under again? I would never have a duck under, I would either go with a lift bridge or return loops.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/08/22 18:32
Author: tomstp

Yes, Ted, that was what I was thinking with 82 year old knees which were wore out 10 years ago. !

Date: 08/08/22 20:12
Author: goneon66

that n-scale layout looks awesome.

you sure do high quality work that is very impressive........

Date: 08/08/22 20:38
Author: up833

Duck unders..well I am 82 next month and have an N scale with duck under. It offers great flexibility not trying to get around one..maybe a liftout but never have thought hard about that. Maybe the catch is in the height needed to duck under.  Mine is 52.5in off the floor.  I am almost 6ft tall and still only have to bend at the waist to avoid hitting my head. Knees? never a problem. Why so high? I like looking at the trains as they go by not watching them go round and round from the drones eye view.
RB

Date: 08/08/22 20:43

i have a "duckunder."

i use a very inexpensive office chair to sit down and "wheel" underneath it.

it sure works for me..........

Date: 08/08/22 21:04
Author: miralomarail

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have a "duckunder."
>
> i use a very inexpensive office chair to sit down
> and "wheel" underneath it.
>
> it sure works for me..........
>
> 66
>
>  I agree 1,000 %  , 22 yrs on the RR  and time helping Our Uncle Sam , has left me with a Bad Neck, I to sit in my chair and slide will I need to go and it's eaiser for wiring too

Date: 08/08/22 21:52
Author: wabash2800

A lift-up is not really hard to build and get dependable operation out of.

Victor B.

Date: 08/08/22 21:56

I’m still a young 43. The bottom of the bench is 48 inches. My trains will be between about 54-56 inches. I love a higher layout. It’s a little harder to work on, but it lets me railfan the layout. 1x4’s work great. Everything gets predrilled and counter sunk. On the portable layout, I glued everything too.

Joe

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/09/22 08:15
Author: Highhood

Nice start

Jon Fink
Schenectady, NY

Date: 08/09/22 08:18

joeygooganelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m still a young 43. The bottom of the bench is
> 48 inches. My trains will be between about 54-56
> inches. I love a higher layout. It’s a little
> harder to work on, but it lets me railfan the
> layout. 1x4’s work great. Everything gets
> predrilled and counter sunk. On the portable
> layout, I glued everything too.
>
> Joe
>
> Posted from iPhone

if i was younger and had to do it over again, i would have my trains running at approx. 54" too.............

Date: 08/09/22 08:24
Author: WAF

Keeps your back and neck in shape t old age

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds