Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido’s Autoflood IIIs are out…

Date: 09/12/22 18:01
Rapido’s Autoflood IIIs are out…
Author: MrMRL

Cracked open my 6-pack of Rapido's new HO scale FreightCar America 4200cf Autoflood III coal hoppers today. Took them down to the local train club with a selection of my Walthers Trinity RD4 hoppers to compare and contrast.

Date: 09/12/22 18:04
Re: Rapido’s Autoflood IIIs are out…

Super crisp lettering and data, good weight out of the package (5.3oz), and very free rolling. Much better (darker) shine/reflection to them over the older Walthers models. I swapped out the Rapido couplers for modified Kadee #119s with the trip pins snipped off. Also painted the wheel faces Roof Brown.

Date: 09/12/22 18:04

Should make great additions to the coal fleet. Maybe time to retire some of those older Walthers models and swap out with a few more of the Rapidos.

​~ Mr. MRL

Date: 09/12/22 19:53
Author: ChrisCampi

Very impressive, especially the interior detail.

Date: 09/12/22 20:01
Author: TomG

I have no need for anything newer than the 70s, but these are some really nice cars. They look great in your pbotos.

Date: 09/13/22 05:21
Author: funnelfan

While the Rapido and Walthers cars are are similar in appearance, they are actually two distinct cars. The Rapido AutoFlood III was built by Johnstown America/Freightcar America where the Walthers RD4 was built by Trinity. The construction of both cars, equally rated at 4200cuft, varies quite a bit in the details. I used to personally deal with these cars at a coal plant, and they were all mixed together with some other car types. The Exactrail Johnstown America Autoflood II cars should mixed in on these coal trains too. We also got BN cars of a earlier Trinity Rapid Discharge design that pre-dates the Walthers cars.
I'm curious how Rapido did on the details on each end of the car. Here are some detail shots of a year old Freightcar America BNSF Autoflood II taken in 2007.

1. The door opening cylinder with a aux. air reservoir behind it on A end of the car. It used a over-center door latching system to keep the doors closed after the air bleed off.

2. Brake valve and reservoir on the B end of the car.

3. Brake Cylinder and rigging on the B end of the car.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/22 05:22 by funnelfan.

Date: 09/17/22 04:29
Author: electromac

=15.600000381469727pxVery Nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds