Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Model Railroading > Real Timers Installed on full-size Proto-Freelance Tower Board

Date: 09/19/22 15:09
Real Timers Installed on full-size Proto-Freelance Tower Board
Author: wabash2800

A coworker came over today and helped rehang the tower board which is 2.5 ft x 5 ft. The board with wooden frame isn't too heavy, but when I added the five timers, it was cumbersome and a bit heavier. (The timers weigh about 14 lbs each.)  I did provide some access holes for future wiring. 

Because the Fort Wayne Union Belt runs behind the tower board to get to and from staging, I had to add a false front near the bottom, right-hand corner of the tower board to get the trains around the backside. I shortened the extension framework where the three timers are located but continued the sheet metal (painted black) on down to disguise my modification.

If I had have known how much work this would be, I might have not attempted it. But now that it is done, I'm happy with it.  If I would have broke any of the glass covers, I don't think they could have been replaced. These timers are over a hundred years old.

Edit: Before I installed the timers, I hit the board with a coat of clear flat paint. IMO, it was too shiny. Now it looks like it has been sitting in a tower for a few years.

Victor B.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/22 18:54 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/19/22 15:33
Re: Real Timers Installed on full-size Proto-Freelance Tower Boar
Author: bearease

Great piece of history. And I love the tiny armstrong levers (would those be called, finger-strong? :-)

For those of us unfamiliar with these operations, what was the purpose of the timers, and how were they operated?

Thanks for the post.

Date: 09/19/22 15:59
Author: PasadenaSub

Really neat feature and historical piece for the layout!

Rich

Date: 09/19/22 16:29
Author: SandPatch1

WOW, makes me wish I had bought Romulus tower and built a layout in the tower... 
ROCK ON Vic,,

Date: 09/20/22 12:35

Dan and all:

This is the biggest interlocking on the layout with it being live in all directions. But I am trying to make the atmosphere like the inside of a real tower with order hoops on the wall, headset, telephone, etc. There will be another interlocking on the bottom level just below this one.

Victor

SandPatch1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW, makes me wish I had bought Romulus tower and
> built a layout in the tower... 
> ROCK ON Vic,,
>  

Date: 09/20/22 16:08
Author: TAW

bearease Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> For those of us unfamiliar with these operations,
> what was the purpose of the timers, and how were
> they operated?
>

Interlockings lock routes in several ways, including time locking. Time locking prevents the operator from dropping the signal in a train's face and throwing switches while the train is unable to stop yet. In electronic interlocking, the time release cirsuit is automatic when the signal is dropped. With these, the operator drops the signal, then turns the knob on the front all the way to the right, winding the spring on the clockwork. The clockwork runs the required number of minutes (calculated in designing the interlocking) and releases the signal circuit.

TAW

Date: 09/21/22 08:49

Thanks for your reply Tom. I was hoping you would chime in.

Victor B.

Date: 09/28/22 14:27

Though I have the tower board hanging by three hooks, I added a safety chain that runs from inside the framework to a joist for piece of mind. I do swing it out to wire from the back and will probably add a crank or pair of folding hinges to make that easier and safer.

The timers are supposed to have small padlocks. Someday...

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/22 15:34 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds