Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Model Railroading > WS Track Painter

Date: 09/29/22 15:35
WS Track Painter
Author: Jimmies

Looking to try to make the railroad here appear just a little bit better, I bought one of these Woodland Scenics "Track Painter" pens, in their Rusty Rail colour.  The idea being of course to paint the sides of the rails with it.  However, I have all Code 83 track here, and the tip of the pen doesn't fit into the web of the rail.  The molded in track spikes prevent the tip of the pen from getting into the web.

I'm thinking that trimming the tip with an Xacto blade to get the tip to reach into the web should work to solve this.  One good thing is that at least they include a spare tip for the pen.  Anybody else run into this problem or a similar one, and I'm wondering what solution did you find?

Thanks.

Jim

Date: 09/29/22 15:47
Re: WS Track Painter
Author: wabash2800

I never had that problem, though I use Micro Engineering flex track. Are you using Atlas code 83 with the big goobers (I know that will make some mad) for track spikes?

Victor B.

Date: 09/29/22 16:33
Author: Jimmies

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never had that problem, though I use Micro
> Engineering flex track. Are you using Atlas code
> 83 with the big goobers (I know that will make
> some mad) for track spikes?
>
> Victor B.

Yes, most of it is Atlas Code 83, although there's a little bit of Micro Engineering also.

jim

Date: 09/29/22 17:27
Author: Woodman

I use rust color paint spray which cost about $3 a can and fills the cracks.  I put masking tape on the top of the tracks before spray.  Some guys use Vaseline on the top, then wipe it off when the paint is dry.  Cheap, quick, clean, and makes the tracks look like rust.  Beats the expensive pen. I know many that use this method.  It not original with me. One can will do you for years.

Date: 09/29/22 17:29
Author: Woodman

I forgot, I also put masking tape over the ties before I spray.

Date: 09/29/22 18:27
Author: ChrisCampi

I haven't had an issue getting the fresh tip in there, however, you'll find that the tip wears very quickly into a big blob of a mess as the spike detail and ties tear it up pretty quickly. Still can be useful though.

Date: 09/29/22 23:21
Author: PHall

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't had an issue getting the fresh tip in
> there, however, you'll find that the tip wears
> very quickly into a big blob of a mess as the
> spike detail and ties tear it up pretty quickly.
> Still can be useful though.

Just keep a fresh #11 blade nearby to keep the tip trimmed to shape.

Date: 09/30/22 09:49
Author: trackplanner

I thought I had a photo of the Testor's paint pens & tips that are sadly no longer available. I stocked up on them when I heardt hey were discontinued. The pens have interchangeable tips with one being pointed, almost like a dull pencil, that gets in rail webs perfectly. I haven't tried the WS pens and don't know if those tips are an option. Here's a color chart I made for selecting colors to use. 

Date: 09/30/22 13:11
Author: funnelfan

Trimming the tip should work, but it will get torn up by the spike detail anyways. Never let the tip dry out or it will be useless, keep the cap on the pen when not in use. Also that rusty rail color is only good for lightly used tracks. For mainline rail that gets a lot of grime blown onto it, the rail tie brown color works much better. You really want a color that is a combination of mud-grime-rust for mainline rail.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/30/22 17:22
Author: trackplanner

Found the photo I was searching for. These pens/tips work great but are hard to find these days.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds