Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > Lake Chabot and Mulford

Date: 10/02/22 10:59
Lake Chabot and Mulford
Author: espee99

Awhile back I asked about helix curves, so I though I would show you what I am up to.  This is the hidden level of the Lake Chabot and Mulford RR, it will have 3 more levels 12" elevated above each other.  We are building this for our grandson who at 11mos has the RR bug already and its been a challange so far due to my lack of skills, but I am learning.

As far as the helix goes it will rise 3 1/2 inches a turn and use a 26in radius which the math shows as a 2.11 percent grade.  The first photo shows the hidden reverse loop, I plan to add a 2nd loop in the future to create the 2 track Mulford yard. The helix is winding up to Chabot which will be the main yard and start of the branch line.

Photo one shows the overall view of Mulford with the start of the helix in the distance, photo two show the first 2 sections of the helix in place and graded..

Again thanks for all of your comments and suggestions I will post more as I make progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/22 11:00 by espee99.

Date: 10/02/22 11:39
Re: Lake Chabot and Mulford
Author: wpdude

I don't see any "lack of skills" on display here. I would PREFER wider curves and less grade, but you gotta work with what you got, and you won't be running monster trains, it should work fine! Keep us up to date!

Date: 10/02/22 12:58
Re: Lake Chabot and Mulford
Author: ChrisCampi

You must live in San Leandro/Oakland or Castro Valley:-). Lake Chabot is sort of a hidden gem, and I spent much time around Mulford railfanning. Mulford yard back the day would make a terrific switching layout with the neat little yard and all the great industrial trackage in San Leandro/Oakland, San Lorenzo west side area's. It will be fun to see how you work this.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds