Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > Second time's a charm ...

Date: 10/04/22 17:07
Second time's a charm ...
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Success this time, after working with some bad catalyst the first time that resulted in a failed mold. This one is just right. I'm ready to start cranking out the corrugated metal electric logging donkey houses.

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/22 17:20 by Jeff_Johnston.

Date: 10/04/22 17:19
Re: Second time's a charm ...

After two weeks of curing the defective mold still  feels like a rubber marshmallow. Yikes ... I'll be more careful to observe the expiration date on the catalyst bottle.

Jeff

Date: 10/04/22 17:29
Author: ChrisCampi

That's pretty cool. How many do you need that makes it worth making a mold and going that route, instead of scratch building what you need?

Date: 10/04/22 17:32

Chris:

I have several landings plus the "donkey doctor" part of Central Camp and work trains to equip with donkeys, plus I have a couple friends who can also use these parts. I also sell a few at swap meets and such. For me, it's easier to build one pattern, make the mold and cast them in urethane resin.

Jeff

Date: 10/04/22 19:22
Author: ChrisCampi

Thanks Jeff. I don't yet know what I could use this technique for, but you've got me interested in trying it. 

Date: 10/05/22 09:40

This kind of moldmaking and casting is seriously useful when you need something that you can scratchbuild but you need a lot of them. Our Sugar Pine Lumber Company modeling involves almost all kitbashing and scratchbuilding because there are zero kits or parts available. The photos illustrate three examples, including stumps, transformer sleds and transformers, and log bunks.

The bunks, for example, have seven pieces each including two side pieces with rivet impressions. I'm working on a fleet of maybe four dozen log flats. With two bunks each, that's a lot of scratchbuilding, and I don't have enough years left to do that. I made four patterns, poured a couple of molds, and can crank them out four or eight at a time. Much faster and easier.

There's no limit to what you can do with this kind of casting. Structure parts, scenic details, you name it, with some practice and experience you can turn out a lot of parts that leave you more time for your other modeling interests.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 10/05/22 10:56
Author: wabash2800

I did a little of that by modifying some windows to match my prototype and using rubber molds and resin to cast in duplicate. The windows here that are a yellow color are the resin castings. I never thought that an interlocking tower would have that many windows!

I may do this soon with some plaster bridge piers but cast the duplicates in plaster using a rubber mold.

Victor B.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/22 11:56 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0816 seconds