Home Open Account Help 166 users online

Model Railroading > BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer (Part 1) - Intro

Date: 10/07/22 00:01
BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer (Part 1) - Intro
Author: tmotor

This is Part 1 of a series on the BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer project.

While standing trackside at Tehachapi back in the day, I saw a new white reefer with a massive BNSF badge on the side.  I had never seen one like it.  I knew right away I wanted to model this unique prototype.  The curved roof and Frostline scheme were unlike anything else on the rails.  On later trips I got some measurements (which was tough, since they rarely stopped moving!)  Though I was taking measurements to build one from scratch, I always held-out hope that it would be offered by a manufacturer as a kit or RTR.  The ExactRail 64’ Trinity reefer was close to the mark, but not a bulls eye.  BLMA released their version of the same car.  Okay, so the 64’ reefer is pretty much covered, so the 72’ should be next in line, right?  Any time now, it will be coming out.  Just be patient.  They already have the 64’ tooling, and are tweaking it right now for the 72’.  Surely the next announcement of a new car will be it. 

Over a period of 2 decades, nothing but crickets…

Am I Missing Something?
This seems like such an obvious car to manufacture.  Why the crickets?

Maybe the car is too long for most layouts, so the manufacturers passed it by?  But there have been all kinds of autorack and 89’ flatcars released since then, so length is not the issue. 

Maybe the pair of 64’ Reefers that were previously released are too similar, and they feel a modern white reefer “has already been done”, so sales would be slow.  But ExactRail just reran theirs, so demand is still high.  A few year ago they sold on eBay for double to triple the MSRP.  (I know, because that is what I paid for mine.) 

Maybe its because most of the manufacturers are on the East Coast, with a few in the midwest.  They model what they see. 

Maybe its because BNSF is the only railroad that runs the Frostline Reefers.  This limits the potential market, so manufacturers look for a car run by more railroads.  However, the Athearn staff were big fans of Western railroads.  They released the Oil Cans (in their Genesis line, no less) which is a favorite of a number of folks, myself included.  Presumably this was a narrow market.  SOLD OUT.  Rerun.  SOLD OUT.  Recently rerun again this year.  This proves that even if the number of railroads that run the prototype is limited, the demand from the fans of the car will more than make up for it.  Plus, with the Oil Cans, just getting a single car won’t do.  Since they were run in multiple (5 to 6) strings of 12 or 13 cars, Athearn sold a trainload.  Literally!

DIY
Unfortunately, my hopes for seeing even a kit version of the BNSF Frostline Reefer faded years ago.  I purchased some ExactRail 64’ Trinity reefers with the idea of stretching them to 72’.  Both are made by Trinity, and shared similar features.  The width of the side panels were a match, as were the doors, and the refrigeration unit platform and fuel tank on the end.  In theory, splicing-in some more side panels, and modifying the side sill would do the trick.  The roof was correct for the last version that did not have the Frostline, but I wanted the Frostline.  So, the stock ribbed roof needed to be made smooth and curved.  The prototype roof is a single sheet, so it shouldn’t be too tough to achieve the correct look.  The weld beads for the side panels would need to be extended up to the roof line.  Microscale offers the decals for the BNSF Frostline Reefers, so good to go.  It wasn’t going to be an easy kitbash, but better than nothing.  This project has been on my short list for over a decade. 

Desktop Manufacturing
A few years ago I purchased a resin 3D printer.   It proved to me that the accuracy and details needed to produce a quality model was now possible with a 3D printer.  But that printer could only handle small parts, which meant any rolling stock over 40’ (in HO) would need to be printed in sections.  I assumed this would be required since printers (at that time) capable of larger parts had low resolution.  But that was resolved this year with the arrival of the Phrozen MEGA 3D printer, which can print an entire BNSF Frostline Reefer as a single part in high resolution. 

With all of the COVID lockdowns, it was the perfect time for me to isolate in front of a computer and tackle the tall learning curve for CAD software.  Having a handle on CAD is the price of admission to unlocking the power of a 3D printer.  To be able to generate geometry for a part, and print it in a few hours, is magic.  :-D

Dave

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/22 18:43 by tmotor.

Date: 10/08/22 21:33
Re: BNSF 72’ Frostline Reefer (Part 1) - Intro
Author: TT

This looks like quite a project.  I'll be interested to see your results.

Date: 10/09/22 19:04
Author: mammothlacrosse

TILX has secondhand cars

Date: 10/09/22 20:54

Greetings TT:

> This looks like quite a project. 
It will be a lot of work, but I've wanted a Frostline Reefer for a long time.  At a minimum, it gives me a reason to get trackside again.  :-D

>  I'll be interested to see your results.
The level of detail will slow-down the project, but I'm trying not to rush it.  Hope to have a test print by the end of the year.

Dave

Date: 10/09/22 20:58

Greetings mammothlacrosse:

> TILX has secondhand cars

Yes, in fact, Microscale included report markings for TILX on their decal sheet.

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/22 21:00 by tmotor.

Date: 10/13/22 11:15
Author: BNSF67

I believe that Union Pacific Railroad also now has a fleet of the 72'-3" Trinity Trincool Refrigerated Boxcars.

Date: 10/13/22 20:25

Greetings BNSF67:

> I believe that Union Pacific Railroad also now has
> a fleet of the 72'-3" Trinity Trincool
> Refrigerated Boxcars.

UP does have these built by Greenbrier:
www.chesapeakeanddelaware.com/images/Diagrams/72footReefer.pdf
Same basic dimensions and specs.

It would not surprise me if they also have some built by Trinity as well.

Take care and God bless!
Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0951 seconds