Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > How low can you go?

Date: 11/30/22 16:20
How low can you go?
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Layout deck height is a frequent subject of discussion and it's always qualified by the builter's height, preferred working and operating levels and so on. This photo shows how low you can go, or, how low we went on our Sugar Pine Lumber Company layout. My hobbyist wife is about 5'8 and I'm 6'6 so the main and second decks, at 38-inches and about 59-inches respectively, are a good compromise for most of the layout. This photo illustrates our South end staging yard that has a 24-inch deck height. Way too low for switching or other operation, our trains originate or terminate there, but parked on a low rollaround stool, it's readily accessible for staging work between run sessions. The yard ladder is right up front where it's easy to bend down and throw a switch for routing purposes. The six yard tracks are also spaced a bit farther apart, I think 2-1/2 inches, for better finger access as needed. It seems to work just fine.

Jeff Johnston
thesugarpineshop.bigcartel.com

Date: 11/30/22 17:01
Re: How low can you go?
Author: mcdeo

There is a layout I operate on and the staging only sections are about 9" above ground level. Usually neal on the floor to get your train in/out of staging. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 12/01/22 22:11
Author: atsf121

Helix out of staging, or does the layout climb around the walls to get from one level to the next?

Nathan

Date: 12/02/22 04:50
Author: SPDRGWfan

I decided to add a lower level branchline before I did too much on the main level, so it's down fairly low and would be operated using a little rolling stool.  It isn't finished yet as I only did the line down to the area it will service.

I am also using threaded rods to support the upper level over staging, which is at 39-inches elevation and about 10-inches clearance to the upper level.

Cheers,
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/22 04:52 by SPDRGWfan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds