Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Anyone tried Model Train Technology detection and signalling?

Date: 12/03/22 13:41
Anyone tried Model Train Technology detection and signalling?
Author: tmotor

Season's Greetings!  :-D

I came across this new company recently.  They are a small start-up with a few years of products on the market.  The owner, Jim Lewis, must have a lot of experience developing electronic circuitry.  The circuit boards are compact and professionally done.  

He has a bunch of YouTube videos of his products.  He gives all of the demos live, which means there will be some "mistakes" on camera.  However, he shows how to fix it and recover, then keeps on going.  Even though the presentations are not "polished", I get the sense he clearly knows his products.

Sensors
The key to reliable detection is the sensor.  He has developed a sensor that uses a laser to detect the train over a 6" range.  This is what I was looking for, since I wanted to have the detector trackside (vs. buried under the ties) so as not to complicate trackwork.  6" give more options for concealing the detector.  He provides an equipment enclosure typically found near signals.  However, it could be inside a building, large rock, cliff side, etc.  The laser is not affected by ambient light, even when shining a bright light directly at the detector.
(Live links to YouTube are not allowed.  You need to cut-n-paste this into your browser.  You know the drill...)
    youtube.com/watch?v=6yQEbzkoU3E

Interlocking Signal Modules
Many of the signaling systems available require programming.  I've done my share of programming, so I'm not afraid of it.  However, I also know what it is like to have to spend hours trying to debug code due to a type-o.  These Signal Modules can be installed without coding.  I also want to have the ability to reconfigure a modular layout (such as assembling them at a meet or after a move) and have the signalling system come back online with minimal adjustments or fine-tuning.  The plug-n-play nature of the install appears to provide that flexibility.
   youtube.com/watch?v=Dk7eP6yPSQg

If anyone has installed one of these Model Train Technology signal systems, please let me know.  Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

Dave 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 13:42 by tmotor.

Date: 12/05/22 17:08
Re: Anyone tried Model Train Technology detection and signalling?
Author: CRRGator

Dave and all,
     I just saw these MTT videos today on Youtube. The products look amazing
and the videos are well done. If I had the chance, I would probably check out
the N scale dwarf signals for use in HO scale.

William

Date: 12/06/22 10:59
Author: tmotor

Season's Greetings, William!

>      I just saw these MTT videos today on Youtube. The products look amazing and the videos are well done.
It is clear a lot of thought and R&D has gone into the products.  They are developed with simplicity in mind, yet a push-button can be used to select options for different functions.  It is nice to have a product developed by a Model Railroader, for Model Railroaders.

> If I had the chance, I would probably check out the N scale dwarf signals for use in HO scale.
The owner is an N-scaler, so most of the products have an N-scale option.  That is perfect for HO as well.
I get the impression he is something of a one-man shop.  That is fine for as long as he is motivated and can support the product lines.  My fear is adopting the MTT system, and then he decides to close shop.  It could be due to slow business, burn-out, or a health issue.  There are some other small companies that have made a big splash in the detection and signalling market, and then faded away.  Their websites are not updated.  Most items are out of stock, with no ETA on restocking.  Having all of the signalling equipment be consistent helps with maintenance and future expansions.  Signalling is complicated enough, so I want to avoid a patchwork of several signalling systems trying to play nice together.

I may get the basic signalling kit to give it a try. 
I like the option he has for the "flashing yellow" pattern, which is used on Tehachapi.  :-D

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Date: 12/08/22 04:59
Author: RGDave

It appears to be a nice system, with detection similar to the infrared detectors used by others but with less disturbance to the track for installation.

This sort of system can be used for point detection (grade crossings, defect detectors, or simple signal animation) very effectively. 

For signaling, infrared can be used well for simple animation of signals, or at one interlocking or signal location effectivvely.  However, visual detection like laser, infrared, or photo sensor necessariliy omits the track areas between the sensors and equipment can therefore be 'lost' to the system if stopped between the sensors.  Current-based detection is more consistent and reliable for a full ABS or CTC signal system.

~Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds