Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Model Railroading > Helix "adjustment"

Date: 01/31/23 17:26
Helix "adjustment"
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Speaking of helixes ... helixii ... helii ... whatever. For those of you who've built helixes using the threaded rod and nuts system as opposed to something else, the people who build helixes this way usually say it's so they can "adjust them later as needed." 

How many of you have used this helix building method, and in truth, have needed to go back as "adjust" them later? As long as the decks are carefully assembled to start with I'm trying to discern what would cause a need for such level adjustment, unless it was plywood that's adapting to the room humidity/temperature or the like.

We used the traditional plywood and wood spacer blocks system and after years of use, have had no need to go back and adjust anything.

I am not in any way saying what we did is better or worse than the threaded rod system, but I'm seriously curious about the neeed for further adjustment of threaded rod helixes.

Thank you!
Jeff Johnston
thesugarpineshop.bigcartel.com

Date: 01/31/23 17:26
Re: Helix "adjustment"
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Apparently external links are a no no in the original post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrXH--f41Y

Date: 01/31/23 19:24
Author: wabash2800

I've done it, but only because I had to add a 1-1/2 turn helix on the top of my 4-1/2 turn helix and another 1-1/2 turn helix underneath. The upper and lower ones lead seperate tracks in and out of a penninsula. I have a 6x6 ft. room for all that. There are so many tracks going in a out of that room that a friend's young son called it a "Mixer". <G> Incidentally, the 4-1/2 turn helix is double track.

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/23 11:35 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/31/23 19:34
Author: PHall

A friend of mine who built a helix with the all thread did it mostly because of the better access. 

Date: 01/31/23 21:22
Author: AMTRUK

I used 3/8" allthread because I had a large supply of 2-4ft cutoffs (actually everything used for the helix was scrap material).

It also allowed me to have a clockwise helix from level 1-2 and a counter clockwise helix from level 2-3 in the same footprint.

Luke

Posted from Android

Date: 02/01/23 23:20
Author: wabash2800

Very good.

Victor Baird

AMTRUK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used 3/8" allthread because I had a large supply
> of 2-4ft cutoffs (actually everything used for the
> helix was scrap material).
>
> It also allowed me to have a clockwise helix from
> level 1-2 and a counter clockwise helix from level
> 2-3 in the same footprint.
>
> Luke
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 02/02/23 11:33
Author: NiagaraMike

That helix is a dandy !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds