Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > athearn just announced a 60 box car

Date: 02/04/23 11:20
athearn just announced a 60 box car
Author: Frisco1971

Gentlemen,
Athearn just announced another run of 60 auto part box cars....
My question, coming from the south, I saw a many of these type
of cars used in paper loading........
Wjhat would be the difference between auto parts and paper ?????????????

Thanks

Date: 02/04/23 12:26
Re: athearn just announced a 60 box car
Author: atsf121

I thought the boxcars for paper service were taller than the autoparts boxcars because you could stack the big print rolls.  But maybe that was for certain paper types / rolls.

Nathan

Date: 02/04/23 12:47
Author: WAF

Agree. Those are definately autoparts cars

Date: 02/04/23 13:11
Author: TCnR

There was a time that they were re-purposing cars in that manner. Quite a few 86 ft auto parts box cars were re-purposed for toilet paper, but they were not supposed to exceed the car tonnage rating. The additional advantage was more room for forklifts inside the car.

Date: 02/04/23 20:33
Author: funnelfan

It's the same 60' PS Auto Parts Boxcar they've been producing for over a decade. Used to see them from time to time in the early 2000's, but I'm sure they've exceeded their life expectancy now and have been retired.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/04/23 21:56
Author: toledopatch

At the time these 60-footers were built, 70 tons was typical weight capacity for a box car, and these longer cars were appropriate for auto parts but not for heavy rolls of paper. The use of 60-foot high cubes for paper shipment is a much more recent development.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds