Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Model Railroading > Malcolm Furlow R.I.P.

Date: 03/16/23 14:36
Malcolm Furlow R.I.P.
Author: original

this just posted on a Narrow gauge Forum

Just got notice from Jennifer Furlow that Malcolm passed away today from the effects of long Covid. Malcolm was known for his art and modeling including the seminal San Juan Central HOn3 project layout for MR back in the 1980’s, now part of the NMRA exhibit on Scale Model Railroading at the CSRM in Sacramento..
Sad news. He was a character but an inspiration to many with a distinct modeling style.
Charlie Getz

Malcolm was a very accomplished artist and he took Model Railroading to another level ! - it became "art" !
l

Date: 03/16/23 14:38
Re: Malcolm Furlow R.I.P.
Author: wabash2800

I agree. I remember his artcles lke it was yesterday. I undersand he also worked for Disney.

Victor Baird

original Wrote:

> Malcolm was a very accomplished artist and he took
> Model Railroading to another level ! - it became
> "art" !
> l

Date: 03/16/23 14:52
Author: Frisco1522

A shame.  That long Covid is awful.  It took my last daughter after 11+ months in hospitals and nursing homes.

Date: 03/16/23 15:24
Author: original

Malcolm never worked for Disney - John D. Olson did !

Date: 03/16/23 15:45
Author: CPR_4000

original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Malcolm never worked for Disney - John D. Olson did !

And the Chooch guy ... Mike O'Connell? 

Date: 03/16/23 16:04
Author: wabash2800

Same guy?! According to this he set up movie sets for Disney...!

Malcolm Furlow - Artist Biography - Park City Fine Art Gallery

Victor Baird

original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Malcolm never worked for Disney - John D. Olson
> did !
>  

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/23 16:09 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/16/23 17:12
Author: DKay

Sad news indeed Charlie. He inspired a lot of modellers. Always enjoyed his contributions to the modelling press back in the day. 
Regards,DK

Date: 03/16/23 17:37
Author: SPDRGWfan

I remember reading Malcoms articles as a teen in the 70's.  I have never heard of anyone dying from long Covid.  How old was he?

RIP Mr. Furlow.

Date: 03/16/23 18:33
Author: TomG

Charlie Getz! Oh my. There are lots of folks with tin foil hats that think Amtrak, UP and other railroad managements are reading this site, ( yes the TV goes both ways and they are watching you ) but this is proof the NMRA is here watching us! 
Ok joke aside, Its very sad that we lost Malcolm Furlow. He was an extremely talented modeler and like most greats, an inspiration to us all. He will be missed. RIP Malcolm.

Date: 03/16/23 20:26
Author: SandPatch1

Without a doubt one of the great writers in the history of Kalmbach publishing.
a true inspiration, He was one of those "Next Level" modelers break new ground,
so sad
dave j

Date: 03/16/23 20:58
Author: tomstp

He did a few layouts in Dallas.  Most of them were really just to show his modeling as the track appeared to either be of no specific gauge and had curves to sharp for 0-2-0  to make.  Some was laid with no gauge.

Date: 03/17/23 03:40
Author: calsubd

R I P Mr.Furlow

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 03/17/23 04:49
Author: WrongWayMurphy

He used to frequent Bobby's Halls Hobby House in Dallas

Date: 03/17/23 06:26
Author: jcaestecker

Some of his best work was with G scale.  He inspired me during my garden railway phase in the 80s and 90s.  RIP.

-John

Date: 03/17/23 06:43
Author: wpdude

Sorry to hear. RIP

Date: 03/17/23 10:22
Author: CPB284

Probably one of the most prolific narrow gauge modelers alongside Harry Brunk. I can't count how many times I read the book of his collected MR articles on the San Juan Central. I could see where his artistic emphasis would probably not be everyone's cup of tea, but he was a very skilled modeler. His weathering skills were as good as anybodys. 

Date: 03/17/23 22:24
Author: atsf121

I remember seeing Malcolm's San Juan Central in old copies of Model Railroader that my neighbor Hank gave me when I was growing up.  I loved the style, even if it wasn't what I was going to build for my dream layout.  He really was an artist, and it showed.  The other layout of his that I liked was the ubran setup of the Carbondale Central.  It reminded me of a small versin of George Sellios' Franklin & Manchester, and I thought about building a layout like that.  All of the action, buildings, waterfront, etc appealed to me.  A 'big city' layout still is a draw for me, even though that's not the kind of railroading (or big city) that I grew up with.  I think I imagine it's what Philedelphia looked like back in the day, and I've only been there once about 20 years ago way after the heyday of trains had past.  While my current modeling is focused on a different locale, maybe I'll do a 'big city' module or layout in the future.  I think the biggest thing I took from Malcom's work was to build a layout that draws you in and keeps you engaged by telling lots of little stories.  Still haven't built one like that, but hope to some day!

Rest in peace Malcom,

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds