Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Model Railroading > Toby/NWSL Minaret Remotor

Date: 03/27/23 16:47
Toby/NWSL Minaret Remotor
Author: thaddeh

I have an old Minaret that I would like to upgrade to a can motor. Has anybody done the same, and what motor did you use?

I run DCC and hope at some point to add sound to this thing. Thanks!

Date: 03/27/23 17:41
Re: Toby/NWSL Minaret Remotor
Author: Jeff_Johnston

By "Minaret" type I presume you mean the 2-8-2T made by NWSL and Precision Scale. The PSC models are already equipped with can motors, the NWSL has an open frame. For historical perspective, the real Minaret is the 2-10-2T (model made by Jonan), the 2-8-2T never received a "type" name beyond tank Mikado.

A Sagami 1630 would fit that loco just fine. I have one I haven't worked on yet but after a visual once-over the 1630 would fit, and maybe even with a flywheel. Once I crack it open I'll know for sure.

I remotored a NWSL 2-6-2T loco, per my recent article in Model Railroad Hobbyist, using one of the square can motors available online. It works great and runs very smoothly. The smaller square can has a much lower top speed than the Sagami, and more torque, which makes it an excellent choice for a logging locomotive.

Jeff Johnston
thesugarpineshop.bigcartel.com

Date: 03/27/23 17:46
Re: Toby/NWSL Minaret Remotor
Author: thaddeh

I have the 1972 Toby version that has the open frame motor.

I'll have a look, thanks for your reply!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0239 seconds