Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Model Railroading > Another Tampa Northern Railroad update.

Date: 05/20/23 19:05
Another Tampa Northern Railroad update.
Author: SALGUY

Well guys, I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time downstairs today.  Regardless, I did make some significant progress today. Last Saturday, ALL 4 of my GP38-2s had a collision with the concrete floor. I was mortified when I saw them, in slow motion, fall to the floor. Well, thankfully, the damage was relatively minor. 2 SAL style horns were destroyed. 3 MU stands were broken off and 2 drop steps dropped into another dimension.  As of this evening, all of that damage has been repaired. The only thing that needs to be accomplished is some touching up on the newly added parts. As a matter of fact, the units are pretty much ready to have one last application of Solvaset to thoroughly settle the decals into place. 

I built an Accurail CGW PS2, 3 bay covered hopper.  This car, when weathered, will be in service, to and from the brewery on the Tampa Northern Railroad.  

2 of the 2 bay Accurail ACF covered hoppers have had more of their lettering and numbers applied. These are turning into awesome little cars.  

The really HUGE news today is that a mistake in the paintshop has turned into a Tampa Northern Model Railroad unit. A couple of weeks ago, the paintshop foreman, that would be me, had a brain fart and mistakenly painted 3 units Gulf Blue. These units were supposed to be modern SAL units, and painted Jolly Green Giant Green. After much thought, well, ok, not much, I decided that the SD40-2 would become a Tampa Northern Railroad unit. Personally, I think it's badass and can't wait to do another one in this paintscheme.  

Now, this unit has me rethinking the whole philosophy of the Tampa Northern. One thought that has entered my mind, is to replace the vast majority of my extensive fleet of SAL motive power with Tampa Northern Railroad equipment.  

Those who have known me the longest, know that I've been a SAL fan and modeler for many decades. It's serious crap when I'm entertaining thoughts like this.  I've got some thinking to do, that's for sure.  

With all that being said, I present to you the spoils of today's brief work session.

Be sure to follow the Tampa Northern Railroad.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/879490203259220/?ref=share_group_link

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/23 23:29 by SALGUY.

Date: 05/21/23 00:50
Re: Another Tampa Northern Railroad update.
Author: 55002

Ooops, sorry to hear about the mishap with the locos. All work looks great, and the 3 bay hopper looks fantastic. Sounds like you've been sniffing the Floquil !! 

Date: 05/21/23 03:25

Thanks, I had the units resting on my decal water container.  I went to do something else and I brushed against it.  Yup, that's all it took.  To the floor they went.  I won't do that again.

I havent sniffed the Floquil, it's been Tamiya paint.  Lol

Date: 05/21/23 03:42

Check this out.  I think they look great together. 

Date: 05/21/23 12:45
Author: boejoe

I've been seeing lots of results of your painting and lettering lately.  Has layout progress been postponed in the meantime?
jb

Date: 05/21/23 13:00
Author: ts1457

I'll give an up-vote to the TN SD40-2.

Denis, you probably have told us, but in your world, did the ACL-SAL merger never take place? Also, what years are you modeling?

Date: 05/21/23 22:34

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been seeing lots of results of your painting
> and lettering lately.  Has layout progress been
> postponed in the meantime?
> jb

A good friend of mine recently finished up the plans for the Tampa Northern.  All of the 2x4s and shelf brackets, for the lower level are in place.  I don't have a pickup truck to make a Home Depot run to get the necessary masonite to get the back drop installed.  I did get 3 or 4 pieces of masonite installed but I had to have it ripped in half to get it into my vehicle.  I'm having a work session on Jine 24th and a buddy of mine is coming, with his pickup truck, so I can get the necessary amount of masonite to finish the back drop.  

Also, i need some help reorgaining my basement to privide working space for the layout.

That's going to be handled on the 24th of June as well. 

In the meantime, I'm working on these cars and engines.  That's cool with me as I'm really enjoying myself. 

Date: 05/21/23 22:45

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll give an up-vote to the TN SD40-2.
>
> Denis, you probably have told us, but in your
> world, did the ACL-SAL merger never take place?
> Also, what years are you modeling?

In my world, the acl doesnt even exist. So, if the acl doesn't exist, how can it merge with the GREAT SAL? 

My modeling time frame is 1965 to the end of 1974, at least for now.  The TN, originally purchased by the SAL, in 1912, has been brought back as a wholly owned subsidary of the Seaboard Air Line.  It handles terminal and local switching operations for the SAL. Through freight and passenger operations are handled by the Seaboard Air Line. 

Now, with that being said, I'm working on an engine that may change all of that.  You see, the paintshop foreman accidently painted a SD40-2 into Tampa Northern Gulf Blue.  That unit was supposed to become a modern SAL unit.  I'm really liking the way that unit looks and it may lead me to changing my modeling focus from mainly SAL, with the TN as a subsidiary road, to the TN being the majority road.  That will give the TN operations from Tampa, Florida to Potomac Yard, Richmond, VA.  This could get rather interesting. 

Photo 1, TN, SAL family photo. Other units are SAL 707, a SD40 and SAL 1111, a SAL SDP35 

Photo 2, view of TN SD40-2 775

Photo 3, rear view of TN 775.  I'm really liking the orange number boards.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0819 seconds